33| let me help

"Just let me help

"Just let me help." I snatch the wet cloth and push on his chest lightly, guiding him to sit on the toilet seat.

August's cheekbone is already beginning to bruise. There's a small cut on his cheekbone and on his bottom lip.

"I'm fine. I can do it myself." He tried to stand, but I pushed him back down. "Sit the hell down and let me help you." I snapped slightly.

August didn't say anything; he just sat there patiently while I put alcohol on the wet cloth. His jaw was clenched tightly and his knuckles were white as he clenched his fist.

I turn back to him, holding the warm cloth in my hand. I step between August's legs.

I tilted his head up to look at me. August let out a hiss as I pressed the cloth to his cheek. Placing my other hand on his jaw as I rub my thumb across his sharp jawline.

August closes his eyes and takes in a harsh breath.
"I can do this myself." I ignore his statement, moving the warm rag across his cheek.

I study his face: the light freckles that were scattered across his cheeks. The reddish-purple that is already beginning to form on his right cheek.

"You didn't have to do that." I said in a whisper. I could still feel the anger that was rippling off of his body.

Augusts hazel eyes snapped to mine. An unreadable expression took over his face. "And let him hurt you? Yeah, you're fucking crazy." He scoffed and shook his head slightly.

I began to clean up the dried blood still on his face. "You're the one who beat the guy half to death." I almost laughed, but I decided not to.

"And I'd do it again and again. A million times over if I had to. If I wasn't there today, would that have been you laying on the floor?" August's voice was filled with anger.

I stayed silent, not wanting to think of what could have happened if August wasn't there.

"I'm sorry... I shouldn't have snapped at you like that." August's voice softened and he leaned into my hand that was resting slightly on his cheek and his jaw. His hands rested on the back of my thighs as though he had to be touching me.

"It was just like something snapped inside of me. When I saw him raise his hand at you, I just...I lost it." I placed the wet cloth on the counter next to me. August looked up at me and I could see the fear that was still in his eyes.

"August, I'm ok." I whispered before leaning down and taking his lips to mine. His hands moved up my legs slowly.

His lips move, capturing my bottom lip between his and giving it a little tug. A small sigh leaves my lips. My eyes fall closed and my heart quickens just from feeling his lips against mine.

The feeling in my chest grows as though it is a balloon that is filling up with air and is about to explode any second.

It's new.