𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨

DEALING WITH IT

☀︎

THE HAWKINS HIGH PEP RALLY WAS UNDERWAY AND FILLED WITH EXCITEMENT. Students had continued to file into the gymnasium as the day began, everyone now talkative with their initial morning exhaustion behind them. The bleachers had been filled with students while the cheerleaders had put together a routine for them to enjoy as they awaited the Hawkins High basketball team to hype them up for their championship game tonight.

Alex had entered the gym, greeted by the marching band blasting their music to the audience that had formed. Robin's eyes lit up at the opportunity. Steve may have convinced her to drop the thought of him and Alex reconnecting, but she was not ready to let go. Their conversation in the car reminded Robin of how Alex Henderson had accepted her into her life so easily. Now she felt she wrongly accepted Alex walking out of hers.

Pulling her trumpet away from her lips, a smile broke out as she raised a hand. "Henderson!" Her voice was lost in the music of the band but she was not willing to let her walk off so quickly. "Henderson, hey!" The lull in the music had allowed her voice to carry out and just as she hoped, she had caught Alex's attention. She gave her another wave, smiling brightly to finally be able to find the courage to talk to her after all this time.

It wasn't until Alex had acknowledged her that Robin felt her smile fade away. In return, Alex had raised a hand in greeting, but there was no smile following along. Not even a twitch of the lips. Robin took a quick breath of air as she forced her smile to stay on her face. On the inside, she was hurting. Her efforts to do what she had been afraid to do was greeted with a wave that was something you give to a teacher you don't care for. It was an awful feeling.

Robin slowly brought her trumpet back to her lips as she watched Alex walk towards the bleachers. Pulling her eyes off of her, Robin had tried to focus back on the excitement of the pep rally when all she had wanted to do was bury herself into her bed and cry. She lost a best friend for good, she felt. Just that easy.

She wasn't the only one that was giving up so easily. In the middle of the bleachers, Mike had nudged Dustin in the side as he nodded toward his sister. "We should try and get her to come sit with us. It's been forever."

"Don't even bother," Dustin said with a frown. "You'll be lucky if she even looks this way."

"Oh, come on," Mike scoffed. "I know she's been kinda distant from us, but she's still your sister. She's a part of the party." He ignored as Dustin shook his head in disapproval and held up a hand in the air as he called her name. Mike was sure to be loud to be heard over the crowd of people, which he was.

Alex had looked up as she made her way up the stairs of the bleachers. He waved her over with a large grin, motioning to the open seats beside them. It was a while since the two had spoken to one another. Mike made attempts here and there to see if she had a change of heart, but all attempts failed. Alex's eyes flickered away immediately as she moved into another row, just a few down from them.