Chapter 31

Chapter 31: Barber

I was enjoying my wine while watching our interview on the television. Dylan did really a great job answering questions casually and even dodging some flawlessly. I also did my part by pretending that I enjoyed his arm around me.

It was almost job well done, only if that question was not brought up. Halata sa mga mata ko na naapektuhan ako ng tanong tungkol kay Bryson.

I almost spilled my drink when my phone suddenly rang. Binaba ko muna sa table ang wine glass bago sinagot ang tawag ni Hando.

"How are you?" I rolled my eyes at his question.

He was asking not because he was worried about me. Maybe he really was. But not the kind of concerned because he was empathizing with me. He sounded worried that I might suddenly decide to drop this nasty role play after what happened.

"The reporter is now receiving backlash from your fans for bringing up that sensitive topic," he reported as if that was some good news. "You are good, Nathalia."

Lumabas ng kwarto si Kristan. Hawak niya si Lilly. They went to the kitchen. I even heard him mutter, "Are you hungry, Lilly?"

He's not talking to me again. Ibig sabihin lang no'n na may malalim na naman siyang iniisip. Malamang na konektado ito sa nangyari kanina pero sa dami no'n ay hindi ko alam kung saang parte.

"But..." Hando paused for a while. "I think you need to get used to it, Nathalia. Bryson was a huge part of your career. Hindi natin maiiwasan na laging mabanggit ang pangalan niya lalo na ngayong may lalaki ka ng nagugustuhan—"

"And that's not Dylan," I cut him off.

Pareho kaming natahimik. Saka ko lang napagtanto kung ano ang sinabi ko. "What were you saying again?" I cleared my throat.

Shit.

"As I was saying..." he paused again. "Wait. What do you mean that's not Dylan?"

"Do you think I genuinely like Mr. Carter?" I tried the art of dodging a question by answering the question with another question.

The good thing is— aside from business matters, Hando is not that intelligent man. Mabilis siyang lusutan. Maliban na lang kung pera na ang usapan dahil alam niya lahat ng pasikot-sikot sa topic na 'yon.

"No?" he sounded confused. "All right. As I said, you need to get used to that kind of question. Whether you like it or not, his name is inevitable. But that was already four years ago. You can feel sad about his death but still, look okay with it. You don't need to fake sadness. But I am not saying be a bitch, do you get me?"

I chuckled.

He knows me. But he's right, though. That was already four years ago and I even almost forgot about that if it was not only brought up. Kaya lang naman ako naapektuhan kanina ay dahil iyon ang unang pagkakataon na nabanggit ang pangalan niya sa matagal na panahon.

"Rest, for now, Nathalia. Your schedule for tomorrow will take up your time. After your sudden decision for a break, you are not complaining about that, are you?"

I shook my head. "I am ready."

I also think that I've already consumed too much of my time just to clear up the things in my head. Although I am not entirely sure yet, I know it now. All those confusions only lead to a certain reason. I am not going to deny it, but I will not confirm it either. It's just there.

"Is this a Hollywood thing?"

"Jesus. Kristan!" I moved away when I realized that he was too close to me. Right. I didn't notice that I was not alone on the sofa all this time.