Game Night // B.B.

It was expected that the social calendar of a Bridgerton was to be filled most nights of the week. The family being so distinguished and desired that not a single person second guessed the event upon learning that a Bridgerton was to be in attendance.

However, there was a night, once a month in which not a single Bridgerton was available to play victim to the desperate crowds of the London Ton.

No – once a month, the immediate Bridgerton family and their partners gathered at Bridgerton House for game night. The game played changed every month; competitiveness rearing its head as each sibling would choose the game they personally excelled in, desperate to have an air of superiority against their brothers and sisters.

It was the one night of the month that each sibling looked forward too. They could let their guards down to a certain extent; they didn't have to dress to the tens, have perfect smiles and even better manners. They could laugh, and play, and have fun with their family.

For this particular game night, it was Colin's turn to choose. He favoured card games; preferring the close quarters of a card table to the wider ministrations of charades as was played last month when Hyacinth got to choose.

Benedict and yourself had barely removed your cloaks before hearing the angry tones of a certain Bridgerton. Sharing an amused look with your husband, he takes your hand, leading you towards the raised voices.

In the middle of the pale blue drawing room, Colin and Eloise stand defensively. Colin's expression barely conceals the anger on his face whereas Eloise makes no effort to hide her disdain at whatever had happened before you had arrived.

"What on earth is happening here?" You ask Anthony, not taking your eyes off the scene before.

"It's Colin's turn to choose," Anthony explains, hiding his smile behind his glass of whiskey. "And Eloise doesn't approve."

"What game has he chosen?" Benedict inquires, greeting his eldest brother with a nod of his head.

"Gin Rummy," Anthony explains with a grimace.

"Ah," Benedict states without further explanation.

"What?" You demand, "What's wrong with the game choice?"

"I hadn't married you the last time Colin chose to play Gin Rummy." Benedict begins, "I think I had only just met you in fact. Anyway, Colin, as you well know, can get a little too competitive and the last time we played Gin Rummy, it ended in a glass being thrown at the wall."

"Oh," You answer, eyes fixed on Colin as he defends his game choice to his younger sister. "I can see how that would call for some trepidation."

"Are we going to have a repeat of the last time we played this game?" Eloise demands, her hands on her hips as she fixes her brothers, particularly Colin, with a stern, unwavering stare.

Her brothers splutter, doing their best to come up with an answer whilst Colin throws his head back dramatically. "The glass slipped out of my hand, Eloise! When will you let that drop?"

"When I stop finding glass in the carpet, Colin."

"It was an accident!" Colin defends, "How was I supposed to know that the glass would smash if it hit the wall?"

Benedict snorts. "I do believe that was the single most stupidest sentence you've ever uttered, brother."

Colin glares at Benedict, unimpressed with his interruption. He ignores Benedict's comment, turning back to Eloise, declaring rather childishly. "It doesn't matter what you think anyway, it's my turn to choose, and I choose Gin Rummy."