- 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

𝗪𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝘀 she drove a brush through her dark hair, Kaci Flores left the house to join the others out back. "I really should've tied my hair up before I did that," she admitted, wrapping it into a ponytail. "Someoneʼs nail snapped off and cut my scalp."

"Ew," Kie cringed.

Kaci sat down on the log beside her, dressed in JJʼs long sweats.

Kie studied her closely. She knew Kaci had it in her to fight, everyone on the island was aware of her short temper, but as she searched her face, she didn't see a single flicker of guilt. Not that she was supposed to feel guilty, what Kaci did tonight was justified. And, maybe, after murdering her brother, a small fight didn't affect Kaci anymore.

But it did make Kie wonder.

"Are you about to kiss me?" asked Kaci jokingly, sliding a marshmallow on a stick to roast it on the fire close to them. "ʼCause I'm holding my other virginity out for Cleo."

Kie chuckled softly, shaking her head. "Did you feel bad?" she suddenly questioned, tone serious. "After our fight?"

Not prepared for the question, Kaci let out a slow breath, rolling her shoulders back as she sat up a little straighter. "At first, no," she admitted. "When I get into...things, it's kind of a moment thing. It's like...I'm not there. I just get filled with so much serotonin and adrenaline that I don't really care about any of it." She shrugged, glancing back at the fire. "But when I hit your temple, it made me feel sick inside. I knew you'd gone to hospital, the police told me that one more wrong punch, and you could've been permanently damaged. You could've..."

"Died." Kie nodded, remembering all the time she spent being shouted at by her parents, being surrounded by the cops, being so scared of the girl sitting beside her that she didn't dare leave her house for months.

Kaci shook her head. "I'm sorry," she said meaningfully. "I know it doesn't help much, but I really am sorry for it, Kie."

The girl nodded, shaking her head with a smile, and nudged Kaci in the stomach. "I don't know why I brought it up, it doesn't matter anymore."

"Hey, if you two are about to hook up, let us know first, yeah?"

Rolling their eyes, the two girls looked up to flip the three boys off, their group coming together again as they all sat on the logs, roasting marshmallows; a calm ending to a crazy night.

"I've had more black eyes in the last month than I've ever had," said Pope, sitting on a garden chair beside JJ.

Kaci shook her head. "Anyone else gives you a black eye, I'll stab them with this marshmallow," she warned, poking his cheek with it.

"That was building up for years," JJ stated. "Rumble in the jungle, we really should've brought Kaz — he woulda loved it." He hissed in pain when he touched the end of his burning stick.

"JJ, our son can't watch us fight people," Kaci deadpanned.

"Just wait until you meet the soccer moms in middle school."

John B chuckled, wedging himself in between his sisters on the log. "Kace'll kill them."

Kaci turned to her side, glaring at him. "I'm not that bad."

"You are," the three boys all said.

JJ shook his head when she stared at them in disbelief. "Don't worry, Princess, it's hot."

Kie nodded in agreement.

John B turned to the two of them. "Hey, did you really stick up for Sarah, or did you just wanna fight?"