The Hellfire Club (Part 3)

I realize I said I won't put a warning at the beginning of the chapters but this one needs it. In the chapter, it discusses Nikki's eat disorder. If this subject is difficult for you to handle I would not recommend reading after the stars (***) separating Lucas's and Nikki's POV. This is the only chapter I will go that in depth about this issue so you don't have to worry about it in any other chapter. The most I will do is briefly mention some of the ways it effects her eating habits. That is it. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and to those struggling with a disorder or mental health issues, I wish you the best and please keep on fighting for a better tomorrow.

Lucas rested his back against the cool brick of the school's walls as he waited outside of the school's shrink's office. He had seen Max go in there when she had passed him in the hallway. In a way he was happy she was getting help. This past year for her had been so difficult with Billy's death and her life at home definitely didn't make it any easier.

After a while she started to smile less and joke around less with him. She would purposely ignore them by putting on her headphones and turn the music up. She would talk less and start to fade in the background, trying to disappear in the world around her.

Of course, Mike and Dustin had noticed this as well, but Lucas was the only one how would try to talk to her about it. He had hoped they could help each other with their loses. Instead, she had started distancing herself from everyone in her life. And there started the small but fast downfall with their group.

The door opening got Lucas back into reality as a familiar redhead stepped out into the hallway.

"Max, hey," Lucas walked up to her, catching her attention before she could put her headphones on.

Max continued walking down the hallway, barely sparing him a glance. "Are you stalking me or something?"

"Oh, no," Lucas shook his head and reached in his pocket, grabbing a small slip of paper. "I just wanted to give you this."

Max turned to face him as he handed her the paper. "What is this?" She asked walking faster, while looking down at the paper.

"A ticket to the game," Lucas explained, earning a slight glare from Max. "I know you never want to go to my games, but this one is kind of a big deal."

"A big deal?" She asked over her shoulder. "Lucas, you really care about this?"

"Yeah, I do," Lucas responded truthfully. Basketball has been one of the only things that has help him get his mind off of Nikki, the championship game and the friends he's been making were just a plus side to everything. When he's practicing or sitting on the bench his mind is nowhere else other than focusing on the game. It helped keep himself sane. "Maybe you should find something you care about too."

Max stopped in her tracks and turned to face him with an anger expression painted on her face. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"You're just," Lucas paused trying to get the right words out. Some that won't upset her anymore than she is. "It's like you're not even here anymore. It's like you're a ghost or something."

"A ghost?" She questioned. "Really?"

"Max, I know something's wrong," He told her honestly.

"Yeah, right," Max replied, looking anywhere else other than him. "Something must be wrong with me because I have my own life that doesn't revolve you guys all the time."

"No," Lucas shook his head. "No, that's not what I meant."

"Lucas, look, people just change, okay? They change who they want to hang out with, or what they plan on spending their free time doing. That's it. I've changed. It's that simple."