11 | playing with fire

***********************************************************************

Bella turns her truck into the Forks Coffee Shop parking lot. She parks near the entrance. She and I are here to eat dinner with our father figures, my grandpa and her dad. Chief Swan and my grandpa have become close friends, which is nice since Bella and I have become good friends as well.

Once Bella shuts the engine off, we both get out of the truck. Mike and a bunch of other kids from school are hanging out by the front entrance. It still amazes me how I was once crushing pretty hard on Mike. Now, I barely think about him much at all.

Mike walks up to me and Bella. "Hey, Rebecca, hey, Arizona, yo, what's happening?" he greets.

I open my mouth to say "nothing much" when a girl approaches me. She is noticeably curvy with chin-length mahogany hair, ivory skin and dark brown eyes. However, what catches my attention the most is her somewhat revealing choice of clothes along with her face which is made up beautifully with lots of makeup.

"Sup," the girls greets, eyeing me up and down as if criticizing my appearance.

Before I can answer, I notice that Mike and Bella have moved aside to have their own conversation. I turn back to the intimidating girl in front of me.

"Hi," I greet, somewhat confused. I'm not quite sure why this girl is talking to me. I think she might recognize me from school or something. I don't recognize her though.

"So you and Edward, huh?" she says. She smacks her lips, revealing a piece of gum in her mouth.

"We're not officially dating yet," I answer her immediately, for fear of confusion.

The girl rolls her eyes. "So you're basically dating," she presses. "I've seen you guys together. He's obsessed with you."

The girl's words irritate me. I don't like how she's hinting that Edward is some sort of creep who only wants one thing, and we all know what that one thing  is. "Edward's just really nice," I defend.

"Okay, that's all I wanted to know," the girl says. She turns on her heel, but before leaving she adds tauntingly, "You better hold on tight to Edward. A lot of girls have their eye on him." And with that, she leaves.

I watch her as she goes over to another girl. This girl is extremely petite and skinny with brown shoulder-length hair, light skin, and blue eyes. She looks like she could be a model or maybe even a character on a teen television show. She appears flawless.

The petite girl looks at me. I swear she sends me a glare for a split second before turning away. I narrow my eyes at the two friends. I wonder why the petite girl sent her friend to talk to me. What's her game?

"Are you coming?" a voice takes me out of my thoughts. It's Bella. She gestures with her head for me to follow her into the coffee shop. She knows this place better than I do since her dad used to take her here when she was younger.