IX

Helencia Castle, Lysithea

Aspen sighed exhausted over his morning coffee and confections, the constant panic running through parliament and the court having drained all his energy. He had barely gotten six hours of sleep over the last two days. Thank god in heaven that Damian and Cyan had been by his side the entire time. He practically collapsed into their bed each night, worn to the bone.

The court was all anxious to hear how the King was doing, and what the Regent was going to do about the late King's heir. Mostly, the inquiries were coming from a good place of concern. Others were clearly trying to understand the situation, in order to get an upper hand. As Regent, Aspen would have to be diligent to protect the King from manipulation, and those wishing to take advantage of the child. It was inevitable that it would happen, but he'd like the boy to be aware of it as soon as possible. Of course, Damian, him, and Cyan would keep the child close. But the idea of an entire country's worth of people seeing a potential way into the King's favour would mean that the boy had to be wary of every relationship he made. Such a huge burden and responsibility for such a young child.

Aspen was beyond stressed. The numerous things he had to do made him want to rip his hair out. Although, he would be careful not to do so. As Regent, he now had to maintain the image of the crown. And ripping out his hair was not a good way to do that. Besides, it would take years to grow back. All Vamphyr were virtually hairless, including men. It took quite a long time for hair to grow. But, there were other benefits to being one of the undead. Wounds, scars, freckles or any other bodily marking would fade away with the constant regeneration of cells.

Currently, Aspen was in what was originally constructed as the Queen's wing, which was opposite the King's wing, where the child was resting. Of course, the wing had never been actually used despite its construction, so it was empty, less for a small table and 4 chairs. Preparations were already underway to fully furnish the Queen's Wing, which would serve as the Regent's rooms until the King selected a partner.
The irony of Aspen and his partners Damian and Cyan residing in a room designated for "the queen" was humorous to say the least. Damian and Cyan had been fighting all night about which one of them was the queen.

Aspen sat in the receiving room, hunched over texts from the palace archives. His advisors, and his partners, Cyan and Damian were with him. Luckily, the court and other advisors had not objected to his partners maintaining their role, but Aspen wasn't so naive to think it would never happen. It certainly would. Aspen certainly didn't have the late King's ability to assert himself either. As Regent, he would have to develop that skill, or watch himself be stepped upon.

And now, he had a child to worry about the well-being of, not just himself. Aspen remembered arriving at court well, from the northern province. He had more than a little culture shock. For starters the politics and mechanisms at court were complicated in a way he never experienced before. He was used to people being brusque and blunt, but at least you were able to tell their intentions and how they felt about you. But in Lamia, there were two-headed snakes lurking behind trees, whispering corruption into one's innocent ear.

The palace was certainly full of landmines, and unless you knew how to dance, you would be blown apart or swallowed alive. Luckily, King Cerberus had stepped in before that could happen to Aspen and Cyan. Damian, being an aristocrat since birth, had been raised and bred on a lifetime of careful footing & confident airs. But now, Aspen was well acquainted with the sirens at court, and was not about to let the King fall prey to their songs.

"Here!" Cyan pointed, gesturing to a passage in one of the oldest books in Lysithea. It was the Royal Doctrine, in which the first laws were written. Near one of the last pages, were the written rules on ascension. The reigning King or Queen had to choose an heir to inherit or name a member of his kin. If the King or Queen fails to produce an heir and has no kin, the next king is determined by a blood rite. To do so, the chosen heir must swear in blood his loyalty to the Kingdom and its prosperity, and willingly tear out the most sacred part of the body, the heart. The reigning King or Queen must bite the flesh, infusing with it the blood of the kingdom. A chosen who will willingly sacrifice their life for the prosperity of the Kingdom is worthy of the responsibility of being King or Queen.