seven | breaking point

☆

FOLLOWING CHRISTINE, THE FOUR took the stairs as they continued their spiral downwards. They were quick on their feet, knowing that the Scarlet Witch was behind them.

Talia kept a hand on the back of America's jacket, guiding her down as she kept looking behind her. The flash of red behind them terrified Talia, but the mystery behind the horrific noises made her heart pound.

When they reached the lowest point, they ran through to the back of the building, where Talia's eyes fell on a tunnel. Talia did not like how trapped they were nor the uncertainty of where they were heading.

"Where does that tunnel go?" Stephen asked Christine.

"Under the river," she answered.

The words did not ease Talia, who could not swim.

Behind them, the door slid shut, though they already knew there was no return. Christine led them through the room with Talia having no time to stop and notice the hundreds of books or old computer systems. Down here, it seemed more storage than anything.

A screech caused them to pause as Talia's head turned, seeing that the Scarlet Witch had caught up to them. The red of her power clawed at the doors, peeling the metal apart so that the witch could get through. Blood dripped, covering half of her face, and her eyes flashed a vibrant red. Talia thought she was more devil than witch now.

"Go, go, go!" Stephen shouted.

His hand had touched Talia's back, urging her forwards with Talia not needing to be told twice. Ahead of her, Christine and America were fast with Talia and Stephen behind them.

As the witch came for them, there was a crash of her power tearing the room apart.

In the tunnels, Christine pressed a button as their escape become far narrower. A vault door slid downwards, but Talia could hear the Scarlet Witch break through the metal with great ease, limping as she ran.

Before the second door had even hit the ground, the witch's magic had torn through it.

Talia's head twisted, eyes falling on the witch as her hand rose. The tunnels lit up with the purple, but the blast was met with the Scarlet Witch's red shield.

As they rounded the next corner, Christine attempted to block the witch again with another door closing behind them. This one closed with the four pausing, finding themselves surprised that the witch had not broken through again.

It became too quiet, the sound of water dripping echoing around them. Talia pushed America behind herself, stepping backwards. They could not trust the sudden disappearance of the witch.

Everything slowed as Talia sparked two blades in her hands, ready and waiting. In the dim-lit tunnels, the purple glowed — far more welcoming than the red.