Chapter 18

The subtle sound of buzzing cut through the silence. M/n turned onto his side, annoyed at having his sleep disturbed. He reached toward his phone, which sat charging on his nightstand.

He winced at the bright light that suddenly hit his face, blinding him for a moment. Though he usually checked the caller ID before answering, he couldn't be bothered at the moment.

"Hello...?" he answered, his deeper-than-usual voice making it evident that he had been sleeping.

"Is this Mr. L/n?"

"Yes, ma'am..." the (h/c)-ette responded, blinking away his sleepiness. "How can I help you...?"

"I'm very sorry to be calling you so late, Mr. L/n. My name is Ritsuka Blaires. I'm an associate of your grandfather's. I was calling because he recently informed me of a change in owners. Would I be correct in assuming you'll be his replacement?"

M/n sat up on the bed, his drowsiness leaving him. He brushed his messy hair out of his face. "That's right," he answered.

"Great. For now, all I needed was your verbal confirmation. Could I ask for a better date and time to properly discuss the details?"

"I'll leave it up to you, as long as it isn't too late during the night..."

"Alright. I'll find a time that'll work for both of us and get back to you. Good night, Mr. L/n."

"Good night..."

He hung up and placed his phone back on the nightstand. He then fell back onto the soft mattress. A sigh left his parted lips as he lay there for a bit, staring up at his blank ceiling. 

It seemed as though his once-peaceful slumber would now be disturbed. The matter of his ownership over the bureau would fester in his mind all night.

It wasn't entirely something he didn't want to do, yet, he was still concerned about how well he'd be able to handle it. To add to his concerns, he still had to take care of his son. He was already struggling to make time. Taking over would only consume his free time more and more.

But he also knew that he had to. His grandfather wasn't getting any younger. Sooner or later, M/n would have had to take over the company. There was no one else except those who weren't family. Even then, he didn't exactly feel comfortable handing the position over to someone else.

He had enough to worry about without having someone in the office messing things up and causing unnecessary issues. The last thing that needed to happen was for peace in the office to be disrupted.

I just can't catch a break, can I...?

--

"Sorry, but I'm afraid I won't be available that day."

Freshly showered and changed, M/n was making his way downstairs, briefcase in one hand and his phone in the other. Currently, he was occupied with a phone call.

"I have prior arrangements with a client," he said to the person on the other line, "I'll have to look at my schedule for other available dates."

Already downstairs, S/n heard his father's voice in the distance. He beamed with excitement and ran out of the living room, leaving behind his notebook and crayons. 

Earlier, he had managed to tie his shoes all on his own. He wanted to show his father what he had done. But just as he was about to call out to him, S/n saw the phone that his dad had against his ear.

The serious look on his face and the tone of voice told the little boy that M/n was currently busy with work. "I'll have my assistant look into it."

The small boy stood there, wondering if he should just show his dad later. But just as he was leaving, M/n took notice of his son standing near the doorway. He said his goodbyes to the person on the other line and hung up.