Prologue

When the world began, life in all forms flourished. From the tiniest of bugs to the tallest of mammals, they lived through a cycle, a chain that kept balance among their food and life. Nature was thriving, it was perfect, but nature can sometimes be the one to destroy itself. A sickness caused preys to die at such drastic numbers, thus breaking the perfect chain of balance, the cycle.

As human hunters became desperate for prey, they would travel to places none had ventured before as it inhabits unknown beasts but preys as well. The hunters succeeded in finding preys untouched by the sickness, and so they set camp and hunted. Wolves, as curious as they can be, wandered near the camp and surveilled the humans on their first few days. While the hunters went away to hunt, the wolves got nearer and nearer the camp, until they had found their way to the tents. Their young, as mischievous and playful as they are, tore apart the tents and clothings until they found a long arrow, its pointy tip covered in sheets as it bears the blood of a fawn that died from the sickness. The hunters were careful not to bring the sickness in these lands, for it was abundant, untouched, and unknown by other humans.

The young wolves tore the sheets that covered the tip of the arrow and the sickness that came with the blood was smeared on their fur. By two days time, the sickness had already spread amongst the preys that inhabit in that place. From the healthy deer to the hopping hares, they became weaker and weaker until they had succumbed to the sickness that decreased their population. Although unaffected by the sickness, the wolves began to die for they lacked prey to eat. The young would starve for weeks, surviving on whatever they can scavenge until they are left to die, their mothers watching in grief and helplessness.

The humans, whom knew they were at fault for bringing the sickness in this untouched land, felt grief over the poor souls of the deceased animals. Their harvested plants would be no use for a wolf for they are carnivorous, and that is all the hunters have that they are able to give. In so much guilt, the hunter offered themselves to the wolves, be it they be eaten, they do not care, for they deserve such punishment for what they have caused. But the wolves did nothing to the humans, and so they tried something different to offer themselves to the wolves, by taking their own life during the evening of a crescent moon. The moon witnessed it all, and took pity to all the unfortunate creatures, including the humans. By the power and blessing of the moon, she brought the souls of the humans and bonded it together with the souls of the wolves. Granting the wolves the intelligence and knowledge of the humans, they had survived the harsh effects of the sickness until it had disappeared through time. As the numbers of prey were still trying to heal from the countless deaths, the wolves had to use their intelligence and found ways of getting prey only at crucial times, such as setting traps that no normal wolf could manage to do. Years after the sickness had disappeared, the inhabiting preys grew in numbers more and the next generation of wolves were brought to the world.

The intelligence was inherited by the generations that followed and as it was passed down, the intelligence grew more and more until the wolves evolved to have the ability to communicate like humans through their minds. After centuries that passed, after many wolves inherited everything passed onto them, they evolved yet again to have the gift of being able to transform into a human. However, a wolf is still a wolf no matter what form it becomes, and so the moon had granted the other half of the soul of the wolf, the human soul, the gift to gain control of the human side.

Although it was not just the wolves that evolved, the humans did too, and so did the rest of the species in the planet. It was when the humans found out about the shapeshifting wolves that they were divided by the huge conflict. The wolves were called demons and names while the other half of the humans only wanted peace between the two kinds. There was growing influence towards the peace loving humans as they were told to believe that there should only be humans allowed to step on their world and no one else could such as demons.

Many wolves were killed, even the non-shifting ones, just because they were wolves. Distraught, the moon watched as the poor wolves were slowly being slaughtered by monstrous humans. She wondered if it were the wolves that should be feared when the humans were more monstrous than the wolves could ever be.

As her final gift, in order to ensure that the wolves are no longer defenseless against humans and their weapons, the moon granted her wolves immense strength and gave the human soul full control over the wolf and the human body. Wanting the poor souls of the wolf to be at rest as much as it can, the moon decided to have the wolf forever become a soul as it watches its human half take control. Another gift from the moon, was the special way of werewolves in ensuring a pair, a mate. Some claimed they would feel it if they have found their pair, some claim they could smell them.

For stronger wolves, such as the patriarchs, the moon would only pair it with a strong female and vise versa. Every wolf would be given a pair that would match their power. Those who were paired to humans, are matched through the amount of love they could both give instead of the strength they have.

Evolution had done things to the shapeshifters, and as the wolves no longer took control, strong souls would try to take over and replace the human souls. Only when the two souls understand each other well, or one loses control, then the wolf's soul would be the one to take control.