Chapter 28

A cough wrecked up my whole body as I heaved. I staggered forward but I pushed my legs to keep  moving. Keep running.

Sobs left my body as I looked everywhere only to be met by the fire casting a dim illumination in the hall. Dancing, mocking and taunting me on how helpless I was against it. The flames licked the walls, swallowing whatever is in it's path into it's heat and charring the furniture.

I screamed out Adam's name in panic. "Where are you?!" I screamed out in frustration as I looked back and forth between the exit and the flames as tears of desperation escaped my eyes and trickled down my ash covered face.

The smoke was getting thicker and thicker by the second but I didn't want to leave any of them in this house. I've spent minutes trying to get to the bedrooms but even as I sprinted there, I knew it was hopeless.

I decided to sprint out the house to check if they made it out even thought it wasn't likely but I knew it was worth a try rather than worrying in the middle of a burning house.

Once I was greeted by the fresh air, I didn't stop running and kept on sprinting while circling the house, searching for signs that they made it out of the house.

"It's okay mom, we're safe now." A flustered, deep voice reassured and I was quick to distinguish it as Preston's as I rounded up the house again to see where the voice came from.

Carla was lying on the ground as she coughed weakly with her head resting on her son's lap. 

Adam was right there with her, clutching her hand tightly, murmuring things hurriedly and trying to get his mom to calm down although his face was alert as he looked from one side to another looking like he was searching for something.

A girl with wavy dark locks similar to Carla's, who I assume is Cali, crouched beside Mr. Jones, huddling closer to him and I stared at the picture, my mind screaming to me that something's not right about the picture.

The Jones' family has 4 children.

I whipped my head back when I heard light thudding and a faint scream of a child. I raised my gaze towards the burning house that has smoke escaping through the windows and caught a glimpse of a tear stricken face of a boy that was screaming his head off, trying to get our attention.

When he saw me looking, he started screaming my name, banging his fist on the glass. He was on the second floor of the house, in his room, looking frightened out of his wits and I didn't have to think of what to do because my feet were already running towards the entrance.

Only to see that the entrance was engulfed in flames.

There's no way else in. If I try the windows, it'll take up too much time and I won't be able to get to Pio fast enough.

My mind decided to remind me to the things Bryant used to do when we were kids to annoy me. He would find a candle and instead of blowing it out like any normal people would do, he'll play with the flames, let it lick his fingers and cover it with the ashes of its smoke.

I would worry my head off when he would press his forefinger and thumb together on the charred rope that kept the fire going, effectively killing it.

I remembered what he told me back then. As long as you don't keep you hands on them more than 5 seconds, you'll be fine.

I closed my eyes and breathed through my nose as I prepared myself, imagining that I was those fingers but this time, the candle would be slightly bigger.

I didn't waste anymore time before barging in the house and I felt the flames lick my skin as I skidded through the pool of dancing flames.

I whirled to where the staircase is, only to find them half burnt and that the fire was already on them, burning half of the stairs but all thoughts went out the window as I heard Pio hoarsely calling out for my name.