The Hellfire Club (Part 4)

March 21, 1986

With Nine being back here for almost three weeks, we have noticed what has changed with her within these past years. Though she has never been one to obey the rules, she especially now is going against every rule we have ever put in place here.

She has refused to do any testing and has even fought with many people, harming them in the process.

Many believe she is now mentally unstable, as she is known to lash out more and not control her anger like she used to.

She has made it difficult to have anything done to her even when she's not conscious. If she is passed out or sleeping, she still fights against the workers trying to carry her to a different area. Making many need to go to the infirmary and making it gravely difficult to cut her hair.

She has still not gotten used to her cuffs and still tries to use her powers despite knowing the consequences that follow doing so. However, if she is in a panicked state she is able to form a blast around her with her powers, injuring and even killing many workers.

We shall see if she gets used to being in her home once again soon.

Nikki looked up from the paper Brenner had given her to read. She was shocked by what Brenner had perceived her to be.

"'Mentally unstable'?"  she quoted, looking at Brenner with disgust.

"It means your are not in the best state of mind," Brenner explained softly.

"I know what it means," her anger started to grow more. "And I know I'm not what you say."

Brenner leaned back in his chair. "What do you mean?"

"I'm not mentally unstable," Nikki snapped. "Far from it actually. This is the most sane I've ever been in this place. You just don't like that idea so you have to find a reason why I'm not listening to you anymore. Why I'm not following you around like a lost puppy."

Brenner stayed quiet and Nikki knew it was because he knew she was correct.

"I'll tell you the real reason I'm not doing that anymore," Nikki continued. "It's because I lived. I had a life outside of this place and I was happier than ever. And now you have taken that away from me, just like everything else in my life. Why would I be content here when I know what may life is like on the outside? Why would I want to be stuck here with you when I have family out there, who cares about me?"

"I care about you, Nine," Nikki cringed at the name as Brenner calmly spoke. "You are here because I know what is best for you. And as for as you being 'stuck', you're not stuck here. This isn't a prison."

"Yeah, right," Nikki scoffed. "'This isn't a prison'. Then why can't I leave? Why can't I walk out the door without guards running  at me, ready to hurt me at any given notice?"

Tears stung her eyes as she waited for a response from Brenner. She didn't get get one.

"You've taken everything from me. My new life, my childhood, even my death. You've taken my freedom, time and time again. And then you sit across from me, and lie right to my face, hoping that I will believe you. I know this is a prison. I know what you have stolen from me."

She held up her wrist to show him the cuffs. "I know what these mean. I know it means I can't get out. It means that I lost my freedom. These are a prison."

She stood up trying to push some of her tears away. "I know the truth this time around. This isn't a home, and it never will be."

***

Lucas ran out with his team to the gym, he couldn't believe they made it as far as they did. And if things turned out well by the end of this game, he might be able to leave his life of being a nerd behind him.