Chapter 22

His Pov

Micajah Stone

We had an amazing night yesterday.
My mind keeps wandering to last night/ morning constantly as I take my cold shower. Cold shower surely helps me wake up.

I get dressed in a formal shirt as I have a few meetings today. I pass on the tie and descend the stairs and let my wolf seek his mate. Here she is snacking on something while cooking pancakes. She has coffee going with some cereal. The typical breakfast. She turns around to see me. There is still some awkwardness between us.

I go and fire up my grill. I have it placed here, me and Sam like barbecued meat. We are half beasts anyway. I take some bacon out of the refrigerator and place it on the grill. I can tell she is watching me work my magic.

I place a lot of bacon on a plate as she finishes setting the pancakes. "Thanks for cooking. You must be tired. Are you feeling uncomfortable or feverish?" I ask her and touch her hand that rests on the table.

"No I'm okay, the shower helped. Your presence helps too. I apologize for being so standoffish. I came here having madeup my mind. Thank you for treating me so well last night. You are a perfect mate and any shewolf would be on her knees for you." She tells me.

"Any shewolf but not you? huh P?" I ask.

I feel angry, after last night I genuinely thought she felt something but oh well.

"You need to hear me out Mica. You took care of a shewolf in heat. It's okay. We are weres. You relieved me of that." She says.

"I did not relieve a shewolf from her heat pain. I took care of my mate. I cared for Penelope Davis, my mate." I declare.

I say this and get out of the kitchen to go to my office. I mindlink my Beta Samuel and his mate Natalie to meet me at the entrance of my office in 10 mins. I don't have time. I can't keep fighting for her, if her mind is already made up.

I take my mobile phone and dash outside with my car keys in tow. An angry Alpha vibes are bad almost toxic, we are prone to anger, jealousy and rage like no other werewolf. As the philosophers say, you can't have it all.

Sam and Natalie drive in their Jeep and meet me at the gate. I look at Nat and ask her to go inside and keep P company and let me know if something comes up. "Let me know even if she leaves. She is not our prisoner Natalie," I remind Nat. Nat can come off very head strong and I know she will persuade P to stay for sure.

I get inside the Jeep and throw my keys to Nat, not in the mood to drive. Sam drives off and drives us towards his house. I can't face the pack members in this mood.

He remains silent.

The short drive is spent sulking and going through her words.

Today morning and yesterday night were one of the best nights of my existence. Before she dropped the bomb on me. How did I even think, last night will change anything, how did I even think that heat might just bring us together, force us to stay attached at the hip.

Now she is the driving wheel and the driver. Our relationship, our bond is completely at her mercy. Her feelings above all. Above us.

I remain seated on the sofa at Sam's house. He brings me a neat Bourbon and sits across from me. We both have the liquid poison and stare at the carpet which Natalie likes way too much.

"Sorry for disturbing you Sam. Ask me to get out if you want." I tell him.

"Naah, there is a first time for everything. Today is not the day I kick you out, my man. I want to know the details. You don't trust her or did she reject you? I know that you ordered a background check on her." He says.

"She doesn't trust me and she hasn't rejected me yet. I make emphasis on that yet. I think her plan now is to endure the heat time with me and then reject me. As opposed to before, when we were trying to know each other for the time being before her heat starts."

"So you guys? Mated? Her heat started so early? Or you couldn't keep your di*k in your pants?" He asks mockingly.

"The patience I have with her is oscar award worthy, especially after seeing my mate so late in my years. No wonder the heat had to kick in, before that we were 6feet apart, yesterday I was that much and so much more inside her." I tell him.

"Yes we had sex but according to her it wasn't a fun mating or an erotic night between two mates, it was one reliving other from heat. She is back to her distanced self today. We are back to being friends. Or should I say fuck buddies." I tell Sam.

I chug the Bourbon down. My knuckles hurting as I had been clenching my fist for how long I am not sure.

"Alpha I need to see you in the security headquarters right now." My personal investigator mindlinks me.

"I have some information you might want to see right away." He says.

I get up in an instant and start running towards the headquarters. Sam is on my hot heels. He wouldn't stay back. I knew. So I didn't bother to let him know.

My anxiety catching up with me. I want to get over this mystery. I want to know more. I have to know more about P. That shewolf is a fuc*ing mystery and I will peel down those layers myself.

I reach the headquarters and b-line for the top floor office. I can tell Aimee is eyeing me but I mindlink Ian to meet me there.
Sam arrives a minute later, looking obviously confused.

I motion Ian to begin. I mindlink Sam to remain quiet and that the investigation relates to Penelope Davis.

"Alpha, a very good morning, I am extremely sorry for calling you at this time." He says.

"No need for formalities, you know I am available at any time. Feel free and tell me in minute detail. I want to know everything." I tell him.

"Alpha this Penelope Davis is a daughter of an Alpha and a sister of an Alpha. But she is an Alpha in herself. She exhibited those traits early on in her teenage years. As I went through her records, her upbringing seemed normal. She was raised to become a Luna one day. The school and high school records appear unblemished." He informs me.

"Around her late teens, there was a function held for her mating ceremony. She had found her mate apparently. The young couple were going to get married and carry on as Alpha and Luna. Her mate's name is Xavier according to some papers that I got my hands on. I went through almost all packs Alpha candidates and couldn't find one named Xavier. The function ended abruptly or something drastic happened and so Miss Penelope shifted to the city after her mothers untimely demise. She lives and works there with her aunt. She frequents a bar and mingles with men on weekends. Mostly humans on Saturday nights. She was seen to go to hotels back with them. Alpha if you are considering her for a potential Choice mate candidate, I would advise against it. Rumors are that she killed this Xavier person as she wanted to become an Alpha herself. Who would kill their mate. That's insane." He finishes with an opinion from his side.

"I didn't ask for your opinion Ian. Why are all the people in this pack overstepping their boundaries. You may leave and keep the paperwork here. You are not to say one thing about this to anyone." I manage to say before falling on the chair which was thankfully behind me.

My breathing is so fast as I attempt to process this information.

She had a mate? Then am I a second chance mate or the bond is completely manipulated or worse fake. A terrible headache forms as I lay my head down on the table. 'Moon goddess!' I sigh

1420+ words

Love,
A