Chapter 51: Holding Back

Anabeth couldn't stay still. Ilang beses ko siyang napansin na sumusulyap sa'kin sabay ngiti.

"May problema ba?" tanong ko.

It's been days since the party at the Van Zanth mansion... since Zackary had recognized me in front of everyone as his mate. And Anabeth had been teasing me non-stop about it.

"Eleanor," she giggled. "What's the feeling?"

We were in our work station in the tower. Matagal na din mula noong huli akong maayos na nakapagtrabaho.

"Feeling?" I faced Anabeth on my seat.

"Of being the alpha's mate, ano ka ba!" Hinampas niya ako sa braso. Laging namumula ang mga braso ko tuwing ganito siya ka-excited sa isang bagay.

Sumandal siya sa sariling upuan nang hindi naalis ang ngiti sa labi. "I still couldn't believe the things that unfolded at the party. It was magical watching the two of you."

"Magical?" I didn't realize the things that happen until the party was over. The only thing that mattered to me most were the moments I shared with Zackary.

"Considering how messy the earlier part of the party was, yes."

"Ano'ng nangyari?"

"Well," she started with a sigh. "The alpha learned about you being invited to the Maven mansion days before. He had a heated argument about it with the elders and the council member. The alpha wanted to leave the party to come to you because he knew you might not be coming."

I bit my lower lip. I wasn't aware something like that had happened.

"Sir Zander had to intervene, you know?" patuloy ni Anabeth. "He reminded everyone involved that the event was also for Zanra and they have no right to create such ruckus in the premises of the Van Zanth mansion."

Muling bumuntong-hininga si Anabeth.

"In the end, Sir Zackary had asserted his position as the alpha and warned everyone that if something happens to you, there would be consequences involved. Thank goodness you've made it to the party at the last minute."

"Do you think the people of Van Zanth hate me?"

Kumunot ang noo ni Anabeth sa naging tanong ko. "Eleanor, there will be people who are waiting to point out your flaws and the risk that comes with your relationship with the alpha. But that's not all of Van Zanth."

Tuluyan siyang humarap sa'kin at hinawakan ang magkabila kong braso.

"A large part of the residence in this town remained in Van Zanth because we are loyal to the family and we trust the decisions of our leader. Hindi kami mananatili dito kung ang bayang ito ay patungo sa pagkasira."

Pinisil niya ang braso ko at ngumiti.

"You are the alpha's mate. You deserve to feel how special that title is."

--

Kinabukasan, maaga palang ay nagpaalam na si Anabeth na buong araw siya sa library para tapusin ang kanyang report tungkol sa nakaraang foraging.

Ako naman ay kinakailangang pumunta sa downtown para bumili ng mga gamit matapos ang mahigit isang buwan na pagkawala sa apothecary.

Once I got my small bag and outdoor coat, naglakad ako patungo sa maliit na bus stop na makikita sa labas ng apothecary. Hindi pa ako nakakarating sa gate nang dalawang order ang lumapit sa'kin. One of them was Owen.

They instantly lowered their heads, greeting me.

"May pupuntahan ka, Ms. Eleanor?"

Huminto ako at humarap sa kanila. "Papunta ako sa downtown para bumili ng ilang gamit."