[ 001 ] bad reputation

CHAPTER ONEI

CHAPTER ONE
I. bad reputation
[ season 2, episode 1 ]

Bad reputation was an accurate statement to use when it came to describing Hawkins' most recent arrival, Stephanie Miller.

She had been a resident in the measly little town submerged on the Indiana state for a just under a year. Not that she wanted to be, of course ── Hawkins was known for it's tepid unpredictability, alongside the inevitably of a suffocatingly boring lifestyle. Oh, and not to mention, last year's disappearance and reappearance of middle-schooler, Will Byers, had tarnished the town's name well enough to steer parents, grandparents and guardians away as they looked for a new place to call home.

Steph Miller, for one, would never grow to call Hawkins home.

She was born and raised in Atlanta City, and held the chaotic place rather close to her heart. Everything she knew, everything and everyone she loved, were left behind, and the devastation of the entire situation had bloomed into an inner turmoil of irreparable despair. Sometimes, she found it hard to breathe being so far from home.

But, as Steph constantly reminded herself, her departure from the fluorescent city came with a very valid reason. A good reason. The drastic change in scenery was a healthy, fresh change that eased the tumultuous storm swirling in her mind.

And so, Steph opted to move in with her Aunt Jenny ── who, in all honesty, did not have the best track record within Hawkins.

But it wasn't like Steph had much of a choice regardless.

The majority of her estranged family lived in Australia, and Steph was not prepared to travel half-way across the world to suffocate under the unrelenting sun, get sand-filled shoes on the golden beaches, and avoid Australian surfer boys, no matter how desperate her twelve-year-old cousin, Myra, had sounded on the telephone. Perhaps, she would visit eventually . . . but not right now.

Besides, Steph had already made plans to move back to Atlanta when March rolled around. Five months. She could cope with that.

For now, though, she just had to deal with the consequences of choosing goddamn Hawkins over literally anywhere else.

Currently, her Aunt Jenny was making breakfast in the rundown kitchen, humming a somber tune under her breath as she scrambled a pan-full of eggs. Stephanie had always been a morning person, so she was sitting at the dining table, scribbling down notes for the History assignment that happened to be due in a week's time. She and Nancy Wheeler had been allocated as parters for the project, which wasn't an issue considering the two were somewhat close friends already ── minus the lack of bonding they did beyond school grounds.