012. 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬...

chapter twelvedarkness fallsacross the land

chapter twelve
darkness falls
across the land...

🖤

RUBY THROWS HER HAIR INTO A ponytail as she scans the area, as she watches Steve pick up another metal sheet, walking towards the bus. Anxiety has been swimming in her system all day long, but now that she's out here, preparing to catch this monster, she feels even worse. Her sixth sense is whirring in the back of her head, aware of what's soon to happen. She feels warmer than she should, outside in early November, and she knows it's her body, ready to conjure up flames at a second's notice.

Sometimes, she's amazed by her body's abilities, and she feels grateful for it. She isn't too keen on the trauma, or the fact that monsters do, in fact, chase after her, but she's glad that her body does everything under the sun to protect her. She's never had to doubt herself in these situations, because at the end of the day, her body will always jump in and save her. The monster can't reach her.

"Who the hell are they?" Ruby looks to her side, where Steve's appeared, his hands on his hips. He's looking towards the boy and girl that have since joined them; Ruby recognises the boy from last year, and as she takes a good look at the girl, her eyes widen.

"Oh, shit," Ruby says.

The girl spots Ruby, too, and frowns.

"What are you doing here?" she asks Ruby.

Dustin frowns. "Wait — how do you both—?"

"She's my step-brother's girlfriend!"

"You're Hargrove's sister?" Steve exclaims.

"Step," Max clarifies.

"Me and Billy broke up," says Ruby, but on the inside, she's panicking. Ruby's got to use her powers later, so Max is going to see — what if she goes home, and she tells Billy? What if people find out that she's a freak? "What are you doing here?"

OK, OK. Context: Ruby, on the occasions she stepped foot in Billy's car, often went along when Billy had to drive Max places. Normally, they'd take Max to the arcade, drive off... make out somewhere, then pick her up a little while later. Sometimes, when Ruby first started dating Billy, Ruby would get him to drive her to school, too — she has a car, yeah, but she wanted people to see her and Billy arriving together. It was all for the cool points. (And it worked.) Ruby barely spoke to Max, and felt a little awkward, but they sort-of know each other. Know of each other.

"What are you doing here?" says Max, just as rudely.

"Look, this is not safe—"

"So why are they here?" says Max, and she gestures to Dustin and Lucas.

Ruby shrugs. "I don't really care about them," she says, quite truthfully. "But if you get hurt—"

"Billy doesn't care about me," says Max. "Is all of this real? The stuff Lucas said? About the monsters, and Eleven—?"