BEFORE: Chapter Eight

Cara dreamed of flying again. It was an overwhelmingly beautiful feeling, this time aided by a melodic voice, urging her to let go and feel. Feel the wind on her face, lifting her body as if it were a feather. The voice caressed her, called to her, made her feel-

     Cara shot up, gasping, iciness enveloping her, causing shivers to rake down her spine.

     "What in the world?"

     She was weighed down by water. Water that had been splashed onto her quite vehemently.

     And the culprit?

     Standing by her side with a bucket in his hand.

     Ivor.

     A dream.

     A nightmare.

     A reality.

     Cara groaned, humphing back down onto her bed.

     Wait.

     Her bed?

     In her apartment?

     Cara quickly looked around for an angry lizard beast, noticing that her room was no longer trashed. In fact, no sign of any violence, besides her soaking form, existed in the otherwise immaculate room.

     "You're awake."

     Cara looked over at Ivor at his inflectionless comment, rolling her eyes so hard at him she almost thought he could hear it.

     "Yeah, and I have you to thank for that apparently."

     "You're welcome."

     There was no emotion in his voice. It was extremely monotone, as if he was unable to pick up on Cara's own irritation. That wasn't possible though, for her irritation was quite apparent in every word she spoke.

     Cara groaned again, this time in increased frustration.

     "How long was I out for?"

     As she waited for his response, everything that had happened ran through her mind quickly, catching her up to date. The roof, the lizard, missing sister, possibly dead mother-

     Ivor's voice cut through Cara's thinking, answering her previously asked question.

     "Just over ten hours."

     "Ten hours?!"

     Her hand came up to rub at her head, now taking notice of the bandaid that wrapped around it, covering her wound. Looking down, she noticed that other parts of her body were also wrapped up in medical gauze. She was sure that she didn't have any stocked up in her apartment, which meant that Ivor either carried around gauze on his person, or he went to the store to obtain it sometime in the ten hours that she was out. If she was at all surprised that he had cleaned her wounds, she didn't mention it. Instead, she slowly sat up, resting against her headboard.

     "How does this place look like nothing happened here?"

     "Because nothing did."

     Huh?

     Maybe Ivor had been injured more than she had thought at first glance. Perhaps he had suffered a brain injury that made him forget he had been in a fight with a giant lizard about twelve hours ago.

     "The lizard? Missing sister and mother? Ring any bells?"

     That got a reaction out of him. His eyes narrowed in annoyance.