𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐊𝐒 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐃𝐀𝐃 → 𝐌𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐄 𝐊𝐍𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐋𝐄𝐒

❤️

Late evening sun spread across the quiet road that flowed outside the Mean Bean Coffee Café. Not a single car had crunched against the tarmac in hours, silence throbbing in the air and sounding like somewhere the whistling of crickets should belong.

All that could be heard in the cozy atmosphere the café provided its small amount of customers with was their own muffled voices discussing the latest news of their personal lives with the friends, family, work colleagues that accompanied them at each table. Faint music flourished in the remaining quietude, the clinking of a spoon to the edges of a cup echoing down the station of service.

(Y/n) sighed with a whisper of a boredom, drooped (e/c) eyes sleepily fixed to the movement of the coffee from the swirled action of the spoon. Deep brown caffeine invaded drink created a whirl in the depths of the mug, a hurricane of sugar and cream locking with the powder blending into the coffee.

She sighed once more, a hand moving from the warmth that radiated from the cup to her cheek that sunk down in response to a frown. She observed the couple of tables with residents to the seating, noticing the love of family illuminating from the just about audible conversation.

(Y/n) wanted to become stronger with emotional struggles that she seemed to have been experiencing daily since her father's disappearance roughly a year ago, but she couldn't mend the hole in her heart from not having a single family member to call her own in sight.

Apart from Agent Stone of course, her father's assistant and someone who also seemed to be his biggest fan. He had treated (Y/n) like his daughter since the doctor's disappearance, and had yearned to see him just one more time.

"Doctor. Where are you?" Stone whispered, tracing the face of the long lost Robotnik into the steaming creams of the coffee for an impatient customer observing impetuously.

(Y/n) Robotnik turned to her second father with a little surprise, as if he had read her thoughts like the prepared words of a script. The artistic representation of the hole in both their hearts was quickly swished away by the spoon in the hand of the customer, the frown of Stone's face sinking further with a sigh once it became a victim to the oceans of coffee and the disrupted image was taken away.

Stone gave a small yet obviously forced smile to (Y/n), maintaining his comfortable position of father figure as he knew it was something she desperately needed to find her determined feet again. She smiled back slightly, soon focusing on the eddy of the brew that moulded its creamy white shade into the darkened brown the rest of the caffeinated drink possessed.

That's when a strange sound gave another smack to the silence. Something neither of them expected to hear. It was the sound of hope. Like a door that radiated an unexpected opportunity flinging open to reveal something as precious as gold the two of them had been anticipating.

Stone turned to where the tinkle of notification had come from, reading the digital wording spread across his wristwatch. A message. From Robotnik.

PREPARE MY LATTE.

Stone grinned, leaving (Y/n) befuddled by his unforeseen shift in attitude to the otherwise monotone occupation that the little shop provided him.

"Oh! Uh... I'm sorry folks, I have to close early. Everybody out!" Stone alerted the few people creating a cozy evening within the café, groans echoing down the room in disappointment and annoyance as the entrance became the exit for everyone except himself and (Y/n).

Customers became silhouettes in the distance the golden horizon painted itself across and bled into the pale blue of the sky. Stone waved his hands behind the crowds to hurry them on, sweeping them away a final time before shutting the door and swinging the open sign to spell closed to the few other people in town.