Chapter 158 - Christmas Eve

It is now about an hour later, and Kara, Lena and Alura have got everything set up for their Christmas Eve, the only thing they are waiting on now is for everyone to arrive. Over the last hour, Kara and Lena haven't had a chance to talk about the letter Lena got from Lillian, simply because neither of them want to talk about it in front of their daughter, but at the same time, Kara and Lena do want to talk about it before everyone arrives for the afternoon/evening.

"Alura?" Kara says, with the trio currently being downstairs in their living room area.

"Yes, mommy?" Alura replies, sweetly.

"Why don't you go upstairs and decide the board games you want us to play this evening? Bring like, 4 or 5 down." Kara suggests, although her intentions are purely just to have Alura out of earshot so she can talk with Lena.

"Yes! Okay!" Alura says, excitedly, and then goes running down the hallway, heading for the stairs.

"No running!" Lena calls out.

Thankfully, both Lena and Kara hear Alura walk up the stairs, with the 5-year-old clearly actually listening to Lena.

"Where's the letter?" Kara asks, looking at Lena.

"Here." Lena says, picking up the letter which she placed back in the envelope and left on the coffee table in the living room, and hands it to Kara.

"Can I read it?" Kara asks, just to be sure.

"Yeah." Lena nods, sounding a bit nervous, simply from thinking about Lillian, and everything she said in the letter again.

"Okay." Kara nods, "I don't know how much time we'll have, so I'll read it quickly with my powers."

Lena simply nods back at Kara again.

Kara then proceeds to speed read the letter over the next 30 seconds, taking everything in, while also making sure not to damage the paper the letter is hand written on when she swaps between the two pages.

"Okay..." Kara says, once she finishes reading, taking a deep breath.

"You read it all?" Lena asks.

"Yeah." Kara nods back, "I uhh..... I don't know what to say really.... It's a bit worrying that Leviathan are doing something with kryptonite and everything.... and preparing to go to battle with me... or us.... But I know that's not what you want to talk about."

"I mean.... I do..." Lena replies, awkwardly, "But from the sounds of things, a threat from Leviathan isn't imminent."

"Yeah." Kara nods, agreeing with Lena, "So.... how do you feel about everything?"

Lena takes a deep breath to gather her emotions.

"Honestly, I'm feeling a bunch of different emotions right now. I'm still worried for Lillian, but I'm also relieved to know that she's actually alive and safe." Lena replies, "Although.... reading that letter did make me realise just how well Lillian knows me... because as soon as she mentioned that she's in South America, I did want to drop everything and fly out there to look for her."

Kara smiles widely upon hearing Lena say that.

"Yeah... but I agree with Lillian. It's better for you, and her, if you don't do that." Kara says.

"I know." Lena nods.

There is then a silence between Kara and Lena, as neither of the two women know what to say next. Kara eventually decides to fill the silence.

"I know this obviously has brought up a lot of emotions for you. But you should just enjoy Christmas, like Lillian suggested you should." Kara says, "You can take solace that Lillian is okay for now, and you might even get another letter from her eventually. There will be time for all these worries and concerns some other time. I think for these next few days, at least, we just need to turn everything else off, and have a break from it all. Although I know that will be hard for you to do, and I don't expect you to just not worry about Lillian at all. I just.... think you should try and relax a little bit."