Chapter 47: Dagen's A Little Bitch

Howdy fam, so sorry for not posting for like, um, a couple of months. But I'm here now, and I'm going to try my best to post consistently but it might not be possible given I'm taking extra classes now for college (your girl wants to graduate sooner). But I'll try for you guys 

I hope you like this chapter

: )

Dagen

"There is a small rooftop in which a portal can be opened without you being seen," Vaella said, looking to Norah sat at the outdoor bench, elbows planted on her knees. "Though there is a high possibility Etin will know of your presence."

"He most likely will," she said, eyeing Milo with hard, steeled eyes while he worked on taking slow, deep breaths and rocking from foot to foot.

They were all standing outside, wind and snow pelting them. Dagen lingered close to Riveta's blue dragon who curled around them as best she could, her body creating a warm cocoon around him. Dagen's eyes ran over Milo in his leather armor. It was mixed with bits of runed, metal plates covering the softer, easier-targeted bits on his body. The metal staff strapped across his back seemed dull in the snowy morning, the metal handle formed with the rise and fall of a wave. There was a hook near the tip meant for something Dagen wasn't sure about but the metal sloped and curled up again, creating another, longer curve.

"And if something goes wrong..." Adam trailed off, biting his lip. He stared at Norah who held his gaze long enough to make him shift.

"Then pray to me," Vaella said, and Dagen could have sworn Norah's breathing hitched. That deadly stare turned onto Vaella. "And I will open a portal."

Dagen's eyes flicked between the two, then to Nevaeha shivering on the Holland's back patio. She bared chattering teeth at him, shivering even with the mountains of jackets and snow pants she wore.

Dagen snickered at her, his shit-eating grin deepening when she scowled. He thought about making a show of nestling against Thorn's warm body, but he didn't want Nevahea to make camp beside him.

Milo frowned at Vaella, "Do you really hear us when we pray to you?"

The goddess's steely, black eyes slid to him. "It is not a usual occurrence. Though today I will be listening for your voices."

He glanced at Adam who shrugged, shoving his arms into his armpits.

"Are you ready?" Vaella asked Norah and Milo. Both nodded.

The goddess stepped back, tugging her spear free from the frozen ground to create a portal. Worry wavered in Milo's eyes as he padded his waist where extra weapons were stored.

Norah stood, her new storm grey armor reflecting dully in the morning light. As Dagen took in the freshly polished sword strapped to her back, he wondered how long this armor would last this time. Even the strongest runes never stood a chance against her darkness.

She tied her hair back, her hair now long enough to wrap into a small bun. She inhaled, and Dagen studied the way she tensed, before she exhaled, her steel wavering like a tiny ripple in still water. And as angry as Dagen was at her, he sympathized.

He felt that same fear every time he walked into his old home, unsure of what mood his father was in that day. Unsure of whether he'd be beaten or praised.

And within that anger, Dagen felt fear. Fear that she would find Etin in a bad mood.

Norah glanced back at the double glass doors where Riveta busied herself with making and eating the carrots and celery she sliced. Her mom's gaze flicked to her, but Norah was already looking away and walking into the portal with Milo behind her.