Chapter Twenty Three

I slumped tiredly on the inn's bed, breathing out a sigh of relief. It was done. I'd finished. I'd secured the business negotiations, exactly how father had ordered, and a week ahead of schedule. I'd done the impossible.

"Nice work, Fuzen," Kira nodded towards me as she changed into her sleeping clothes. "We should be able to leave tomorrow!" I smile in thanks before noticing a tattoo on her back.

"Stab me?" I question, confused.

"I thought it was funny," she shrugged.

"Yeah, until you actually do get stabbed, baka," Aki scoffed, appearing in the doorway. Kira pokes her tongue out, not bothered by the fact that she didn't have her shirt on yet.

She casually pulled the shirt over her head, asking, "So whatcha doing here?"

"Mm, Guerin wants to make sure you both know we're going to leave by ten tomorrow. So get to bed, baka," he ordered.

"Yeah, alright. See ya," she casually shut the door in his face.

"You to seem... Extremely comfortable with each other," I comment.

"Hm? You think so?" She asks.

I stare, deadpan. "Alright," I shrug, "Whatever. Goodnight, Kira."

"Night," she mumbled, flopping under the covers.

***

We'd run into a trap.

"Meh, just every day bandits. Hibiki, protect Fuzen," Guerin ordered, "Aki, Kira, with me."

A kunai is thrown straight towards me and I react, ready to block it. But my movement was unnecessary. The kunai stopped in midair and dropped to the ground as though it had hit a brick wall.

"Good work, Hibiki," Guerin grinned. "Let's go, kids!"

I stare at the area where the kunai bounced off, curious. Then I saw it.

Genius. A chakra wall somehow solidified. Hibiki must be a genius.

My head shoots up as I hear Aki cry out in pain. He limped back, Guerin and Kira covering him. I try to take a step forward, but a hand on my wrist stopped me. I glanced down, seeing Hibiki holding me back. At my questioning glance he simply shook his head, not allowing me to exit his cover.

Suddenly Kira and Aki were next to me, and Kira unceremoniously dumped him on the ground before turning to leave.

"Wait!" I cry out, "I can help!"

Kira glanced back. "No need," she responded, "They're just bandits. Anyways, don't you know my name had another meaning than the one I gave you?"

I stare I to her furiously angry eyes before she sprinted away, attacking the bandits with everything she had.

"Kira," I whispered, "Killer."

And she fought like a killer.

Sooner than I expected the fight was over. Aki had twisted his ankle, but otherwise there were no injuries.

"You guys were amazing," I complimented, "How'd did Hibiki do that, the chakra wall?"

"It's something only he can do, as far as I know," Guerin admits, "I've never seen anyone else who could."

"Amazing," I say again, "How isn't he a chunin yet?"

"Chunin?" Guerin asked, surprised, "He's a jonin!"

"What?" I gasp, "I thought he was still a genin! You said that Aki and Kira were both chunin, but you only said that Hibiki was an amazing ninja!"

"Well, he is an amazing ninja," Guerin shrugged.