XL

FORTY: TO YOU, LAST LOVE

2003 Kyoto, Japan

YUURI POV

My mother was Japanese. She didn't want my father to go back to South Korea. She said that it would be better if we went to Japan, but my father insisted we'd move back to South Korea as soon as I graduate from middle school.

"Welcome to your last year in middle school. But before we get to the introductions, I would like to introduce a new student for this year's class, he's an exchange student from South Korea," the teacher said.

Then, a tall figure walked in the room, and all the students' attention were towards him.

He had dark black hair, and he had the appearancd similar to that of a happy dog who always makes everyone's days happy.

"Everyone, this is Byun Baekhyun-kun, he's part of the exchange program we had with a South Korean middle school. He's attending class for the year," the teacher said and the students, especially the girls, started talking about him.

"Baekhyun-kun is so handsome, I'm starting to like him."

"Kana-chan, you should confess to him before he gets back to Korea!"

"Who do you think will Baekhyun-kun choose? I'm starting to think he has high standards in girls."

"Class president Kang Yuuri, is it okay for Baekhyun to sit beside you for the time being for some guidance from you?" The teacher beamed, and I nodded as she suddenly got this guy to approach me.

"Ohayo? Uhh... I'm Byun Baekhyun, and you...?" Baekhyun tried saying as he attempted to execute his little knowledge in Japanese.

"You can converse with me in Korean too, I'm actually half-Korean. I'm Kang Yuuri, nice to meet you," I said as I extended me hand towards him.

"Ah, I'm glad to have met you, I finally get to be with a student who speaks Korean here," Baekhyun sighed in relief as he sat himself beside me.

THIRD PERSON POV

"Yuuri!" A voice called, and Yuuri looks back at the person who was walking towards her.

"I want to thank you for helping me out around the campus. If it weren't for you, I could've lost myself by now," Baekhyun smiled as he burrowed his hands inside of his pockets.

"Do you... want to go get ramen or something? Of course I'll pay," Baekhyun said and Yuuri smiled.

"It's okay. If I don't go home now, my mother will be mad at me. You can pay me a meal sometime," Yuuri smiled before going on her way out of campus.

"Your mother would be mad, huh," Baekhyun muttered as he stared at Yuuri's figure disappearing.

-

"Baekhyun-kun! Can you help me with my homework? I heard you're such an expert in the social studies subject!"

"Baekhyun-kun, come with us for lunch!"

"Baekhyun-kun! Meet us and we'll play basketball, yeah?"

"You're very popular," Yuuri said as she walked beside Baekhyun, and Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck before looking at the classmates.

"Everyone, I'm sorry but I can't come," Baekhyun replied.

"Why, Baekhyun-kun?"

"I'm spending the rest of the day with Yuuri-chan," Baekhyun said shamelessly, and Yuuri burst into a red hue on her cheeks.