7

Nancy, Jonathan, and I sit at the police station waiting for Hopper to get here. The door opens and Joyce rushes in followed by Hopper.

"Hey," Joyce greets. She notices the ice on Jonathan's hand. "Jonathan? Jesus, what... what happened?"

"Ma'am..." an officer starts.

"I'm fine," Jonathan tells his mom.

"Why is he wearing handcuffs?" Joyce asks.

"Well, your boy assaulted a police officer. That's why," the officer explains.

"Take them off," Joyce demands.

"I am afraid I cannot do that," the officer insists.

"Take them off!" Joyce repeats.

"You heard her. Take 'em off," Hopper instructs.

"Chief, I get everyone's emotional here, but there's something you need to see," another officer says.

Hopper brings our box of monster hunting supplies into the station and drips them onto the desk in front of us.

"What is this?" Joyce asks.

"Why don't you ask your son? We found it in his car," Hopper informs her.

"What?" Joyce asks in disbelief.

"Why are you going through my car?" Jonathan questions.

"Is that really the question you should be asking right now?" Hopper argues. "I wanna see you in my office."

"You won't believe me," Jonathan insists.

"Why don't you give me a try?" Hopper offers.

We all sit in Hopper's office. We try to explain to Joyce and Hopper what we know about the monster.

"You say blood draws this thing?" Hopper asks.

"We don't know," Jonathan tells him.

"Maybe," I offer.

"It's just a theory," Nancy adds.

Jonathan, Nancy, Joyce, Hopper, and I get in the car. We're on our way to drop Nancy off at home. We stop when we notice agents of some kind taking things from the Wheeler's home.

"I have to go home," Nancy insists.

"No, you can't," Hopper tells her.

"My mom... my dad are there," Nancy argues.

"They're gonna be okay," Hopper insists. Nancy tries to rush past him, but Hopper stops her. "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey."

"Let go," Nancy tells him. "Let go!"

"Hey! Listen to me. Listen to me," Hopper says. "The last thing in the world we need is them knowing you're mixed up in all this."

"Mike is over there..." Nancy starts.

"They haven't found him," Hopper tells her. He points to a helicopter. "Not yet at least."

"For Mike?" Nancy asks in disbelief.

"Come on, get in the car," Hopper tells her. The two of them get back into the car. "Look, we need to find them before they do. Do you have any idea where he might have gone?"

Nancy shakes her head. "No, I don't."

"I need you to think," Hopper demands.

"I don't know. We haven't talked a lot. I mean, lately..." Nancy sighs.

"Look, is there any place that your... your parents don't know about that he might go?" Joyce asks.

"I don't know," Nancy insists.