Chapter 1

"Bruno, you need to look into the future. I need to know why Mirabel didn't get a gift. If this hurts our family, our home, we need to know why."

"Mamá..." Bruno trailed off. "After what happened with Dolores... You know I don't do visions on the family anymore."

"Por favor, mijo."

He sighed. "Okay, mamá."

Bruno left his mother and walked towards his tower. He didn't want to conjure the vision, but he didn't want to disappoint his Mamá either. What if it was a bad vision? Would he be blamed if it went wrong? Why didn't Mirabel get a gift?

"Tío Bruno?" A soft, wobbly voice spoke from behind him. He instantly recognised the owner of the voice. Bruno turned around to see his Sobrina, Mirabel, standing there. She was still in her white dress from earlier. Her tear-stained face and slightly dishevelled hair showing her upset from tonight's events. She looked so innocent, so unsure.

"Hey, Mira." He gave her an empathetic smile. "Estás bien, niña?" He kneeled down to Mirabel, placing his hands on her shoulders giving them a small squeeze in hope to reassure her. He watched as she sniffled slightly, wiping at her nose and eyes before nodding gently. Within a moment, she was placing her own small hands on his shoulders.

"Are you okay?" She asked, trying her best to be brave for him. Her small lip quiver giving away just how not oaky she really was

"I'm okay." He smiled. "Why?"

"You were talking to yourself." She brightened up slightly, giggling as she gently pressed his nose, something she had picked up from her father. Bruno laughed, shaking his head as he stood up.

"Was I?" Bruno placed his hand on his forehead before shaking his head. "Silly me." He let out a loud sigh. He gave a quick glance to the newly five-year-old girl.

A small silence fell over the pair. "Mira, where is your Mamá?" He asked.

"Abuela wanted to talk to her." She answered.

"Your Papá?"

"Abuela wanted to talk to him too."

"Isa? Luisa?"

A small whimper came out at that question.

"Abuela wouldn't let them be near me." Tears rushed to her eyes. "She said that..." She stopped herself. Bruno didn't push any further.

How could the world be so cruel to someone to precious? Her Mamá should be here with her. Holding her in her arms whispering sweet words of comfort to the girl.

Her Papá should be here. Running his fingers through her hair, making horrible dad-jokes.

Her sisters should be allowed to see her to let her know that she'll be okay.

He wanted to stay with her. To comfort her. To reassure her that everything was okay. That maybe, just maybe her gift will come a little bit later.

But he couldn't.

He couldn't because he didn't know it would.

"You should get some rest, Mira." He turned to continue his way to his tower. Before a small hand tugged him back.

"Can you tuck me in Tío Bruno?" He looked down at his niece. Her eyes gazed up at him. How could he say no to her?

"You don't want your Mamá or Papá to tuck you in?" He asked, watching as her body slumped.

"They're still talking to Abuela. Por favor, Tío Bruno!"

"Alright, just checking." Mirabel's smile brightened at his words and began to bounce on the balls of her feet before running towards her room the nursery.