fourteen | The Nina Project

SULIT | XIV.
"VECNA'S IN MY HEAD"
(' OLD FEELINGS ')

"VECNA'S IN MY HEAD"(' OLD FEELINGS ')

***

DANIELLE RARELY GOT ANGRY. IN FACT, THERE WERE ONLY A FEW TIMES where she'd truly been pissed off and the reason had entirely been the actions of her stepbrother. The truth was that Danielle never really got angry, just sad. She'd cry about it and then she'd bounce back.

But right now, she was mad.

Extremely mad.

"You okay?" Danielle asked Max as they sat by Billy's grave. Max nods her head as she pulls at the blades of grass.

"Yeah," Max says nodding her head as she looks over at Danielle, "Are you?"

"Yeah," Danielle answers, "Awesome letter by the way, but don't you ever fucking tell me goodbye through a letter again. And don't keep shit from me."

"I'm sorry," Max tells her, "I thought I was protecting you. I didn't want you to see me end up like Chrissy and Fred."

"I'm supposed to protect you," Danielle insists, "I could have helped-"

"You have been," Max says, "Since I was born Dani. I just – I wanted to protect you for a change."

"That's not how it works," Danielle tells her, "You are the protectee I am the protector."

Max rolls her eyes, "Whatever."

Danielle laughs at her sister's attitude, trying not to think about how things could have ended so differently, "So I climbed the fence and got the dog."

"Seriously?" Max asks her.

"Seriously," Danielle responds, "I took her to the vet and she's pregnant. I thought we could take her in, a little source of sunlight in the Mayfield residence."

"Mom is going to kill you," Max says with a smile.

"She'll fall in love with the dog," Danielle says.

Max glances over Danielle's shoulder and finds Robin pacing nervously by Danielle's Jeep.

"Don't be mad at her," Max says and Danielle's brows furrow as she looks at her sister, "Robin. Don't be mad at her. She wanted to protect you too because she loves you."

"We're not talking about her right now," Danielle says softly as she stands up, "Now come on, this cemetery is about to be the source of some serious PTSD for me."

Max snorts and Danielle smiles as she holds out her hand to her younger sister, which Max takes.

They all huddled up in the Wheeler basement after what happened in the cemetery. It was well into the night and Danielle couldn't sleep. She was scared, scared that something could happen to Max. Scared that her friends would lie to her again. She was scared to let her guard down. Which meant that she couldn't sleep.