8- Dead End

"Who are you??" I was breathing very heavily at this point.

He looked straight into my eyes with his blood red eyes and I instantly recognised them.

"Eric Arguens. The Duke of Arguens and also the future ruler of Karlos" he smiled.

Things had already started going wrong before I realised it was....

"I have to go now!" I turned away from him hastily and searched for my knight Laura. I could feel the fear choking me as I rushed out of the palace leaving him behind.

"See you later" he smiled.

All these years I kept on running away from you only to meet you again? Everything I did, everything I tried was all a waste?

"Laura let's go home right now!" I rushed out to my knight.

"Milady are you sure? The party hasn't ended yet" she says.

"I don't care...Let's go!" I was out of breath at this point. Laura was surprised but looking at my condition she obeyed immediately.

Even when we reached home I couldn't stop thinking about it. I felt my whole body shivering with anxiety.

"Eric Arguens, the duke of Arguens and the future emperor of Karlos"

How did everything change so fast?

I knew Eric was capable of becoming the duke and leading the Arguens Duchy but the next emperor? That too without any imperial bloodline?

No wait...I've heard rumours about the crown prince of Karlos empire being bedridden with an incurable disease.
There has been constant fights between the nobles regarding who would become the next emperor, but they were unable to find a perfect candidate...

After leaving Eric in Karlos with Duchess Roseanne, I cut off all ties with the family, only leaving a few top mages to heal Eric's brainwashing. They would send secret messages regarding the process and we got a green signal that his memories where completely erased 5 years ago. No one was even allowed to mention the name of Vorsacks or Caroline in the house, so that Eric wouldn't even remember our existence.

But something has surely gone wrong... Eric doesn't seem to have changed even the slightest!

"Nanny...contact Duchess Roseanne immediately!" I order.

"Huh? But didn't you mention of cutting all contact with her after leaving that boy with her 7 years ago??" She asks surprised.

"Things have changed...Eric...He is back! And he remembers everything!"

"That's not possible... His memories were removed with magic to erase his brainwashing!"

"I don't know... something has gone wrong severely!" I was trembling with fear and breathing heavily almost at the verge of having a panic attack!

"Calm down milady...there must have been some sort of mistake! The process of erasing memories has been tried and tested for years and we sent some of our best and well trained mages specialising in it to do it. There can't be anything possibly going wrong! "

"I met the sister of Emperor Of Karlos at the party..."  I said.

"Oh dear! Are you speaking of the wealthiest businesswoman in Karlos, Lady Srivalline??" The nanny pushed her glasses up in surprise.

"Yeah..."

"This is great news! Then were you able to initiate talks of business with her?? Rumour has it that she has been taking care of the imperial duties in the place of her older brother and sick crown prince! And she may become the next ruler of Karlos!" 

"That won't be it...I also met another man with her. That man had black hair and red eyes, and she introduced him as the next ruler of Karlos..."

"Pardon? But from what I've heard is that the crown prince is bedridden with blood cancer!"

"No...that man is not the crown prince. It was Eric!" I gulp down my throat in anxiety.

"Pardon? What!!?? But how...?" Even the calm and collected nanny struggles to find words to express herself.

"I don't know how..." I cover my forehead with my hand, "But Eric...he's now more powerful than we could ever imagine! I've already given up the throne so even the mighty Vorsacks wouldn't stand a chance before the imperial family of Karlos!"

For some reason every move I've made to survive has ended up backfiring me ultimately!

"If he decides to take revenge on us... revenge on me now... It's a DEAD END!" I bite my fingernails drawing blood.

All this while I've been living in a sand castle. To think that I could beat the system! The system that wants the Villainess dead...It's almost impossible!

The story had changed before I even realised...the story changed to kill me!

"But isn't that a good thing Miss?" The nanny speaks up.

"Good thing? Are you crazy?? Hahahahaha we don't stand the slightest chance against him now!" I laugh hysterically, I lost complete control over my sanity.

"No...if his brainwashing is not removed and he's the future emperor of Karlos...then we have really hit jackpot! He will obey the Vorsacks completely then we'll have power over Karlos and Rivans combined!" The nanny exclaimed with a sadistic smile.

But how do I explain it to her that I'm destined to die at the hands of that same man she considers jackpot???

But now that I think about it...Sophia hasn't appeared yet. Sophia was the one who released Eric if his brainwashing afterall...

But there is no guarantee that she won't appear later...

"Then what do you suggest we do?" I ask her, I have no idea what to do now so taking advice is all that I can do.

"We must first get to know that if this man you mention is really Eric or not. I'll write to the Duchess as you have asked." She says.

"Okay but then what? What if he's Eric?"

"Then we simply need to repair our ties with him. If bad memories can't be erased,we can always replace them with good ones?"

"Good ones..." I repeat.

Good memories with Eric...is that even possible? To him I was the selfish Villainess who tortured him to love me.
My family has inflicted so much pain upon him since he was just a little boy.

Can they really be replaced...?

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Read more chapters on my patreon

Link in my bio💖

Thanks!