☔︎ Chapter 50: To Kill A Mockingbird ☔︎

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." - To kill a mockingbird by harper lee

Please spam the comments one LAST time for me🥹🫶🏾 -S

The truth of that matter is that Russia has invaded Prague, in fear that Dubcek would withdraw from the Warsaw Pact. In fear that Dubcek's new reforms would spread to other countries in Eastern Europe. I never thought that my father would actually repossess the country, if I had known I would have warned them.

Dmitriyi tried to warn me.

I remember my trip back to Moscow in flashes; the ringing of my ears on the plane, the pain of the handcuffs around my wrists, the emptiness in my heart. It physically pains me to be away from Niklaus, it physically hurts me.
I am brought back to my own land, and the air is different, colder, of course, the wind brushes against my skin and I am shoved out of the moving car. I look up to see the place where I grew up, it is no longer my home.

I have struggled all my life to find a place where I feel most comfortable, a place where I can be myself without fear of being unacceptable, and a place where I am surrounded by love. And I have been everywhere the points on a map could touch and yet, at the end of it all I have learned only one thing; home is where you make it.
I made in home in the heart of a man with stained glass windows for eyes, I bathed in the sunlight of his unwavering admiration for me. My home is not a place, my home is a person, my person, my Niklaus.

General Ivanov blindfolds my eyes with a rough piece of material and leads me into the spacious palace, I am led to a room in the house I have never seen before, it is dark and there Is only one window above me that lets in only a sliver of light that shines onto the tiled flooring. I am handcuffed to a bed with sheets that I recognize, floral and pink like the ones in my... Childhood bedroom.

I am locked in for hours, and as the sun rises in the sky more light seeps in and I'm able to make out the scenery in front of me that I have not seen in years. I shut the memory of this room out, I made sure I was to become the furthest thing from the little girl who slept in this bed awakened by bone-chilling nightmares. The spineless, coward whose own mother could barely tolerate her.