Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The exhaustion manages to knock her for a few hours though when she opens her eyes it's to darkness. Faint city lights glow from the curtains and Roxie's snores fill her ears informing Makayla that it's still too early to get up. She tosses and turns trying to find a few more hours of peace but every time she shuts her eyes all she can imagine is being back in her bedroom. 

She'd gotten dressed, undressed, slept in that room. It was supposed to be personal and private. Yet someone was watching her. Fear runs through her veins as she clenches the sheets tighter between her fingers. They could have attacked her at any point in that room, she'd have been caught by surprise and as much as she might have been able to put up a fight they probably would win, especially if the meeting in the alley was an indication. The come covered underwear shifts through her thoughts, a symbol of what else he wanted to do to her.

Her throat goes dry with terror, heart racing. She's safe, she reminds herself and more importantly not alone. The reassurance is too transparent and won't help her get to sleep.

Quietly, trying not to disturb Roxie, Makayla exits the bed. She'd stripped off the sweatpants to sleep and not wanting to fumble in the dark to tug them off, she's leaves them be. She'll grab a drink of water and look over to prove to herself she really does have a big, strong man around to protect her which will hopefully do the trick to help her get to sleep. She hates the thought of having to have such reliance on an external figure, especially a man but it can't be helped. Her brain is working on instincts right now and not logic. It needs to see a protector.

In her bare feet and just his t-shirt, Makayla's able to make it down the hall into the main living area. There, while still dark, is cast in a slight fluorescent orange-yellow from where the shades covering the large windows cannot prevent the brightness from the vibrant city outside seeping in. Makayla had every intention of tiptoeing to the kitchen but is captivated by the bulky figure outlined on the couch.

Still there.

Reassured, she quietly stalks in the opposite direction to the open-plan kitchen. The cupboard creeks as she opens it causing her to freeze. There's a quiet murmur from the couch however after a few moments they quieten again. She carefully slides out a glass and reaches over to grab the filter jug. The sound of the water hitting the cup can't be avoided and it's what causes Mateo to awaken.

She turns in time to witness broad shoulders attached to a head surge up over the flat headboard of the couch. Suspended in action, Makayla watches with curiosity as Mateo rather than calling out to her, stretches one hand over to the nearby side table and picks up the weapon.

"Mateo, it's me," she calls out, recifying her mistake.

His hold on the gun relaxes and instead flicks on the tall, standing lamp beside him. The golden light bathes him. Makayla takes a sip and places her glass on the counter before moving towards him.

"Makayla? What time is it? What are you doing up?" he mutters, running a hand through his curls and propping himself up.

"Late. Or early I suppose. I..I came to get a drink."
Somehow admitting she couldn't sleep feels like an admission of weakness and Makayla's not one point out the chinks in her armor.

"Okay," he mumbles, as she comes within his line of sight.

In his hazy, just awoken state it takes him a second to note what she's wearing or rather what she's not wearing. As far as he can tell, she just has on his t-shirt and nothing else. The roundness of her breasts are hinted at, a faint outline of her nipples and most tempting of all is the short length of the tee, revealing bare, toned thighs. She takes a seat absentmindedly at the edge of his 'bed' causing her clothing to ride up. The hem is just shy of revealing her pretty pussy. He swallows his groan, doing his best to keep his gaze only on her face and not to imagine if her tense, tight features would soften during orgasm. Would that guarded look in her eyes also dissipate?