Chapter Thirty Four

"Hey, I'm gonna take the bus with Quinn today," Milan said on the call.

"Everything cool?" Leo asked.

"Yeah, apparently they had a fight with Nessa so they want to rant," Milan answered.

"Oh, fair enough. I hope they're okay," Leo replied.

"Same. I'll see you in school?"

"Yeah. Bye, mi amor."

Leo hung up the phone after that, before heading downstairs for breakfast. Maya and Roan were getting ready to leave, Maya's school was a little farther away compared to Leo, and Roan dropped her to school every morning. And then Kai picked her up in the afternoon when she was done with her after-school extra curricular activities. She had some or the other meeting or practice every day of the week.

Leo ruffled Maya's hair as she was leaving the kitchen, making her groan in annoyance. She was not a morning person. Leo chuckled as he sat down on the highstool at the counter, Kai had already placed a plate of pancakes in front of him.

Leo and Kai ate their breakfast in silence. Kai was going through some papers whereas Leo was scrolling on his phone. Once they were done, Kai gathered the empty dishes and put them in the sink.

"I'll see you in history." Kai said as he grabbed his car keys and got ready to leave.

"Hey," Leo stopped him. "Uh, do you mind driving me to school today?"

"Everything okay with your car? Do you need to take it to the mechanic again?" Kai asked, concerned.

Leo's car was a used second-hand, that they bought a couple of years ago. The husbands wanted to buy him a new one but he wouldn't agree to that, arguing that he didn't want them spending so much money on him. They finally settled on a budget and got an old car, it was functional but broke down quite often.

"Yeah, the car's fine." Leo shrugged. "You don't have to drive me if you don't- you know what? It was a stupid idea, anyway."

"Hey, no." Kai shook his head. "Let's go."

Leo nodded as he got up from the stool and grabbed his bag. The two left their home and got into Kai's car. Kai was confused as to why Leo wanted to ride with him, but he didn't ask. Back when Leo didn't have a car, he used to take the bus instead of going with Kai, he absolutely despised the idea of going to school with his history teacher.

Even if he was running late and missed the bus, he would walk and risk getting detention, instead of just going with Kai.

This was the first time ever that Leo willingly asked to ride with Kai to school. So safe to say, Kai was surprised. But he wasn't complaining. Roan had always been closer to Leo in comparison, and that made Kai sad about the fact that Leo hadn't opened up to him the way he did with Roan. Maybe it was the fact that both of them were adopted, and had somewhat similar personalities- whatever the reason was, it always made Kai feel left out.

Leo knew this too. He knew Kai had been trying his hardest over the years to break through to Leo. Though he never let it happen. But it was about time that he started showing Kai how much he appreciated him, even if it was in small, baby steps.

The first few minutes of the car ride were awkward. Neither of them knew what to say or how to break the silence. Leo hadn't exactly thought his actions through, it was just an impulsive decision.

"For, um, my creative writing assignment I have to write a piece set in the dark ages. Do you think you could help me out with that?" Leo asked.

"You want my help?" Kai asked, surprised yet again.