41 - 'Captain America'

It's been a couple of months since everything happened, and nothing has been the same since. In all honesty, nothing has been the same for the past five years. It started with the blip, then losing Nat, Pietro, Tony, and although Steve isn't actually gone, it feels like he has. I haven't spoken to him since the day he returned the stones and I'd like to keep it that way. I know it sounds ignorant but I have every right to be angry with him for what he did. Now I'm stuck with Sam and Bucky, when they can stand to be in the same room as each other that is.

The last time I saw Sam was when he was about to go over to Washington for a mission with the U.S. Airforce. He said he was 'doing well,' so I took his word for it with no further questions. Bucky on the other hand, has started court mandated therapy. Good for him, I guess, but I'm not sure how much it will actually help. He doesn't talk to people often, not even me or Sam, though he never spoke much in the first place.

I still live in Brooklyn, though I moved out of Steve's old apartment and into a new one. As much of a friend as he used to be, I didn't want to be living somewhere that was gifted by someone who threw away the life he created and stopped helping people. He always told me he thought he was made for something bigger than himself, though I don't take that into account anymore.

I haven't picked up a new job yet, there's nothing really out there fit for me anymore, now that the Avengers aren't a thing anymore. I would join the army, but I've never really been one for that. Stark Industries isn't around much either now that Stark's gone, otherwise I'd be there. Shield has been replaced by 'Sword' - Sentient Weapons Observation and Response Department – but apparently, they're not the best.

This morning, I left my house around nine and wandered down to the coffee shop I went to with Nat a few years ago. I order my usual and take a seat at the back of the place with a book. It's a few moments of silence before I decide what I do for the day, and I find myself down here a lot. Usually, I'm alone, but not this morning.

"Your boots make it obvious you're approaching, Barnes." I smirk, putting my book down as he sits in the chair across from me.

"When did you become an expert in how shoes sound?" He rolls his eyes at me.

"You cut your hair." I state, a little surprised.

"No shit, Sherlock."

"Why'd you do it?"

"I don't know," he sighs, "I guess it helps with feeling free from Hydra."

"Fair enough," I nod, "I never had the pleasure of having long hair."

"It's not fun," Bucky chuckles, "believe me."

"How's Sam?" I ask.

"I don't know."

"Have you spoken to him?"

"No. Have you?"

"I saw him about a week ago," I say, "he was going over to Washington."

"What for?"

"Some Airforce mission, I think," I answer, taking a sip from my drink before talking again, "how's the therapy going?"

"Awful." Bucky chuckles softly.

"Who's your therapist?"

"Doctor Raynor."

"She's no good I'm guessing?"

"She's not great," he sighs, "she has these 'rules' I have to stick to for making amends."

"That's bullshit." I chuckle.

"What do you mean?"

"There shouldn't be rules for making amends," I state, "you know?"

"It's this 'no one gets hurt,' and 'don't do anything illegal,' and I have to confirm that I'm not the Winter Soldier anymore."

"Do they believe you?"

"Sometimes," Bucky rolls his eyes, "not always."

"And how do you feel about it all?"

"I hate it."

"That's understandable."

"You know, I don't want to be doing all this therapy just so I can feel like a 'normal citizen' again. I mean, I get that I was brainwashed and everything, but I don't this is necessary, or at least to the extent that I have it."

"How come you came down here anyway?"

"I was out for a walk then saw you at the back of the shop." Bucky replies.

"I guess it's not as good of a hiding spot as I thought then."

"Why were you hiding?"

"I don't want to be identified in public," I say, "and I don't want to be stuck inside my apartment all day."

"You still living at Steve's old place?"

"No," I shake my head, "I moved out of there a month or so ago."

"Why?"

"I don't want to live somewhere where someone we don't really know anymore used to live."

"But he gave you the apartment."

"I had already lived there for five years, Buck," I say, "it's not like it was new to me or anything."

"Where are you now then?"

"Only a few blocks away."

"Cool," he nods, "what are you planning to do now then?"

"Today or in future?"

"Either, or."

"Well today I have no idea, and in future... yeah, I have no idea either," I sigh, "you?"

"I have no idea."

"We're useful then," I chuckle, "we should get going though."

"Why?"

"Because I've been sitting here for over an hour and haven't ordered anything."

"You think it's impolite, don't you?"

"Yep."

"You're so British." Bucky rolls his eyes and the two of us head out the coffee shop.

We wander around Brooklyn for a while before heading back to mine. When we get inside, I flick the TV on and leave Bucky to watch it while I put some clothes away from earlier.

"Hey, Laurie," Bucky calls, "get over here."

"What?" I question, walking over to him and he points at the TV.

'Unrest, in the wake of recent events has left us vulnerable. Every day Americans feel it. While we love heroes who put their lives on the line to defend Earth, we also need a hero to defend this country. We need a real person who embodies America's greatest values.'

"Shit," I mumble under my breath, getting my phone out and calling Sam, "hey, are you watching the news?"

"Yeah, I see it."

'We need someone to inspire us again, someone who can be a symbol for all of us. So, on behalf of the Department of Defence and our Commander-in-Chief, it is with great honour that we announce here today, that the United States of America has a new hero.'

"No, no, no, no." Sam mutters from the other end of the phone.

'Join me in welcoming your new Captain America.'

"What the fuck." Bucky grumbles.

"I'm gonna call you back, Sam." I say and hang up the phone, staring at Bucky with both of us in a confused silence for a while.

"This is bullshit!" Bucky shouts, turning the TV off in anger, "this is such bullshit!"

"How did it happen!?" I question.

"I don't know. Sam probably handed it over."

"He wouldn't do tha-" I stop talking when Bucky gets up to leave, "where are you going?"

"To find Sam." 

"Buck! No- wait!" I shout but he's already gone, "oh for goodness sake!"