。four 。

♡

with her walkman beside her head, adella drew lightly on her sketch-pad, sat in hopper's armchair. queen played quietly in her ears, her foot tapping against the cushions to the beat as her pencil scribbled down the page.

music could faintly be heard from el's room and adella knew her and mike were making out...yet again. when she had come home, both teenagers were back which surprised her because she knew dustin and come back that day. she didn't think it was fair to leave him on the day he'd come back from camp. however, he had max, will and lucas with him, but she knew he'd prefer the whole party to be there together.

adella's head snapped up when she heard hopper's curtain whip back, her dad taking a drag of his cigarette before screwing it out in his ash tray. he stuffed a small note into the chest pocket of his sheriff's uniform.

"what are you doing?" adella asked quietly, pausing her music when hopper stood in front of el's door.

"talking to them." hopper answered, exhaling deeply.

"about...?" adella pressed.

"feelings." hopper grumbled and she snorted. "don't. i know it's gonna be terrible. can you do it?"

"how would joyce feel if she knew that?" adella smirked.

hopper turned to her sharply, "joyce? what does she have to do with this?"

"oh, it's obvious this is her idea." adella scoffed. "you never talk feelings with el. especially about boys. i'm right, though, aren't i? it's not gonna go well."

"you should zip it." hopper nodded quickly and she laughed as he knocked on the wooden doorframe. "hey."

there was a pause before el could be heard, "yes?"

"can i talk to you guys a minute?" hopper asked, rolling his eyes when adella forced back a grin. the door to el's room slowly opened with her powers and he walked inside to see mike and el separated on the bed. "hi."

"hi." the couple replied awkwardly.

"ella." hopper said, turning to face her again and she hummed. "turn your music up and put your headphones on."

"arruinas toda la diversión." adella pouted as she picked her pencil back up, looking to her pad. (you ruin all the fun)

"that's my job as your dad." hopper stated and closed the el's door behind him as adella turned up her music and focused back on her drawing.

a short while later, el's door slammed back open, mike rushing out after hopper who seemed angrier than he was before since talking to them. el walked into her doorframe, frowning as she watched hopper leave with mike.

"what happened?" adella asked, pausing her music again.

"mike's nana is sick." el replied. "his mum called hop."

"oh." adella nodded, knowing her dads words weren't true. she just hoped mike would be smart enough to tell el the truth about the conversation.

"hop's taking him home." el smiled. "i hope she's okay."

"me too." adella returned the smile.

"what are you drawing?" el questioned and adella looked down at her pad, clearing her throat.

"a woman." she replied.

"is she pretty?" el quizzed.

"very." adella grinned, nodding slightly and el's smile widened.

"can i see when it's finished?" the younger girl inquired.

"definitely." adella answered and el thanked her before going back into her room, leaving the door open three inches as always.

as she continued to draw, adella felt her eyes droop slightly, eyelids fluttering every so often. letting her head fall back, adella's hand let go of her pencil which fell onto the pad in her lap. curling into the far too comfy chair, adella slowly fell asleep.

when hopper came back from dropping mike off, once he'd tried to talk some sense into the lovesick boy, he closed the door quietly as to not wake adella. walking towards her, he turned off her walkman, clicking out the cassette to place it back into its case.

he grabbed her pad and pencil, going to place them on the table but he read the words scribbled down first, 'i was right'

they made him smile and he scribbled down a response of, 'don't let it inflate your ego even more' that she would wake up to. he ripped off that sheet of paper, placing it onto the table. the drawing she sketched caught his eye and his eyebrows furrowed, not recognising the girl.

"el." hopper said lowly, knocking on the younger girls door.

"yes?" el asked, opening it with her powers again.

"is this an actress from one of your shows?" he held up the picture and el looked at it with squinted eyes.

"no." she shook her head. "i could find out who it is?"

"no, you're okay. get some sleep." hopper smiled and shut the door close to the hinges as he left.

after placing a blanket over adella, he took her pad back to her room and went to his own, wondering who adella had been doodling for the entire evening.

{835}