Twenty-Six

"Why are you hiding from me,  Aegiya?"

Auden didn't know what to say, didn't know where to begin. How did she tell him she wasn't allowed to have him?

He'd run out to meet her without shoes on, and he was wearing a simple t shirt and jeans. The ocean winds ruffled his black hair, and a slight twinkle of reflecting sun bounced off the cross earrings dangling from his ears.

She opened her mouth to speak but no words came out. Her heart hurt. Her chest hurt. And tears pricked the corners of her eyes. When had she become so emotional?

She knew its was cowardly, but she tried to move past him, needing to escape the situation, unable to face him.

"Hey, hey," he murmured soothingly, stepping in front of her, his hands wrapping around her upper arms. "What's the matter, Auden, please talk to me."

"I—I can't," she said, barely able to look him in the eye. "I can't do this Jimin, I just—"

She tried to pull out of his grasp but his hands just ended up moving to her waist, pulling her even closer to him as if he knew that being in close proximity to him would hinder her ability to resist him.

His arms wrapped around her, and she instantly lost the fight.

"Please, don't walk away from me," he pleaded, and his eyes were wide, dark orbs, filled with worry. Like he was genuinely afraid she would leave him and never return. How she wished she could just go somewhere far away with him, how she wished she could be selfish and have him all to herself. But that was an impossible dream.

"Jimin, this isn't going to work between us," she managed to say but it was a mere whisper.

"Why not? What made you determine that, huh?" he asked and she could feel the frustration in his words. And that made it so much harder.

"You're an idol. And I'm a normal girl from the states. This will never work."

"So that's why you haven't spoken to me in days? You just decided we couldn't be together and then made the decision to never speak to me again?" he asked, and the hurt was evident in his tone. His hand reached up to cup her chin and he forced her to look at him.

"It was just easier this way," she whispered, tears coming into her eyes without her consent.

"Easier for who?" he asked, his eyes darkening. "Is it not clear how I feel about you?"

"You're about to go on a world tour, Jimin. How would it even work between us—"

"Come with me," he said, stopping her mid sentence.

She shook her head immediately, tears coming to her eyes and blurring the image of him before her. His beautiful face swam in her vision until she blinked the tears away, causing them to dribble down her cheeks. "Jimin no. . ."

"Come with me," he pleaded more intently, leaning forward so his forehead pressed against hers. "Come with me on the tour." He reached up, wiping away her tears with his thumb.

"But no one can see us together, we could never have a normal relationship."

He closed his eyes, and let out a strangled breath. He didn't respond for a moment, and that's how Auden knew she'd overturned a truth that he couldn't ignore.

"Is it not enough to be with me in the dark?" he whispered, his eyes opening, and his expression causing her heart to ache. He looked devastated. How could she make this beautiful angel look so heartbroken?

"Even if we were together in secret. When would we see each other on the tour? You'll be gone so much, and where will I be? Back at a hotel somewhere, waiting for you?" she said. "And not only that, we barely know each other, Jimin."