𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

A LUCKY CHARM

☀︎

THE HAWKINS HIGH BASKETBALL GAME WAS ONLY MOMENTS AWAY. Excitement filled the audience causing a boom of voices to escape from the gym and trickle into the halls. Alex had started to feel this was a bad idea when she approached the school with the ticket Lucas gave her in hand. Her grip on the ticket was tight, fearful that if she let it go, Lucas would never forgive her.

It was time to let a part of her feel normal once again and it was all for him. He asked— begged— for her to be there tonight. Even when she made her way down the halls and toward the gym, she had debated turning back before he could see her. It would be just that easy. She believed he would expect her to not make it and she could easily prove him right.

Then she came through the gym doors and the crowd had cheered for their team to take the win that evening. Alex immediately felt overwhelmed by the noise, but she made it her mission to find Lucas. Maybe proving him wrong wouldn't have been so bad. Seeing him smile used to always brighten her day and who was to say it wouldn't have the same effect now.

The basketball team had made their way around the gym, preparing for their big win. It was all they could hope for. This championship game was going to prove that the Tigers were on top and after the recent events in Hawkins, some felt that they needed this small win.

Lucas had made his way around the gym for a grab at the ball when he had spotted her standing at the gym doors. A part of him felt he had been dreaming that someone had come to his game, the one person everyone doubted would make it. And yet there she stood. She looked around nervously, holding herself until she met his eyes. She gave an attempted smile as she raised a hand in the air towards him. Tied to her wrist had been his camouflage bandana— a sign of good luck. He stifled a laugh as he waved to her in disbelief. Inside, Alex Henderson was still there and for that small moment, he had been able to pull her out.

Alex felt her stomach turn when it struck her that there was no going back now. It may have not been how she would have done it before, but she was there to support Lucas. The back row of the bleachers had looked like a perfect place to hide away for the evening and still be able to watch the game. But that's not what he wanted and she knew that. He had always wanted her front row to know that someone out there was proud of him for doing something different. So that's what Alex felt she had to do.

Walking into the gym, she bit the inside of her cheek as she searched the bleachers for an open spot in the front row. Alex made her way across where the marching band played when Robin had spotted her. The trumpet had pulled away from her lips in surprise to see she had come. Of all the games, Alex never made it. Tonight was something new, something she never expected.

Looking up, Alex had searched the marching band until she saw Robin watching her in return. Tonight she did feel as if there was a change of heart within her. Hearing Robin's voice call her name this morning had a warmth wrap around her. It was everything she needed back in her life to finally feel something. Not hating herself for the smallest bit gave her that relief to see Robin again and find herself smiling. She missed her friend. Someone she always counted on she let slip away.