Chapter 25: Unrequited

A gentle but pleasant sound from the wind chimes warmly dances with the breeze.

Though the warmth soon vanished, shortly after my shoe touched the wooden floor.

Cold...

Dark...

Those were the words that fill my mind yet my eyes saw something else.

A pool of crimson blood.

The victim's blood whom he killed, stained his sword red...

Traitor.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

A morning breeze swooshes through the open window, and soft welcoming sunlight enters the room. Outside, morning birds sing beautiful melodies, syncing in a lovely harmony of a symphony.

Although the peaceful break of dawn was harmonious, it was disturbed by the awakening of your heavy panting. Your eyes snapped open as your body was drenched with sweat.

You glanced at the empty futon next to yours, noticing that Ayato might have left earlier.

"What was that...?" You whispered, feeling paranoid and confused. It felt too real to be a dream or in this case, a nightmare.

Thinking back to the dream and remembering the gut-wrenching opaque red fluid staining the floor, your shoes, and his sword, made you feel nauseous.

You shook your head, trying to remove the negative thought. As you stood up, you noticed a crumbled old slip of paper on Ayato's futon.

Normally, Ayato was the type to never carry crumbled slips of paper around. Out of curiosity, you carefully picked up the paper and opened it:

"T——K——planning to——danger—must infor—"

What is this? Most of the words are smudged but I can slightly make out their meanings.

If I'm not mistaken, the Tenryou and Kanjou Commissions are planning something.

Why is this kept in terrible condition? What's it doing on Ayato's futon too?

You were in disbelief and part of you felt a bit deceived. Why didn't he tell you any of this?

You sensed your chest aching as your body felt like it was on fire, ready to combust at any moment. You thought that Ayato would trust you by now. Trust you enough to not keep any secrets especially if it's regarding the commissions and regular citizens.

You quickly dressed up in appropriate clothes before rushing out of your room. You rapidly passed through the hallway, noticing Thoma and Ayaka in the dining room. They were playfully laughing and shyly enjoying each other's presence.

The spark of jealousy you felt last night reappeared. The envious feeling of wanting to have the same desirable interactions with Ayato only grew more potent.

As soon as you reached Ayato's office, you were about to slide the door open but heard another man's voice inside.

"Have you made up your mind, my lord? The Tenryou Commissioner has been impatiently waiting for your answer." Hisashi sighed, feeling stressed as he was placed in a tough position.