Chapter 26: Fool For You

"What's going on?" Thoma repeated himself.

Silence and guilt filled the room as Ayato walked over to the desk, grabbed a sealed envelope, and handed it over to Thoma. "Read this."

Thoma didn't say a word while he opened the envelope. He observed the Tri-Commissions seal at the very top of the letter before beginning to quietly read.

The letter was an invitation to a meeting in two days as Hisashi stated earlier. It contained classified information about what was going on within the nation.

Ayaka curiously took a peak at the letter, she inspected each word carefully while she gained a sense of uncertainty, not wanting to believe a strong warrior had fallen into a deep slumber.

"Kujou Takayuki had formally asked me to allow y/n to assist the Shogun for the time being but..." Ayato crossed his arms while stopping mid-sentence.

Ayaka stepped in, questioning her older brother, "But...you're afraid y/n might end up with the same fate as Kujou Sara, right?"

Ayato focused his gaze outside the window, "Who am I to refrain her from aiding our nation's god, more so, her mother?" He softly spoke, feeling a lump grow in his throat.

He frowned while staring at the two birds sweetly embracing each other, "Ayaka, you and I both know exactly how it feels being unable to do something to prevent the worst for our parents."

Ayaka lowered her gaze, hearing her older brother talk about their parents was a sensitive topic. She wasn't exactly over the tragedy that happened.

"Yet above all, I allow my selfish emotions to restrain y/n from being able to attend to her mother." Ayato scoffs at himself, disappointed with the choices he made. His thoughts constantly replayed y/n's expressions, remembering exactly what she told him:

'I'm your wife....yet you cannot rely on me.'

'Do you not trust me?'

'I wish I never agreed to marry you...'

Ayato pitifully mumbled, "I failed to be a promising husband." A glistening tear he held onto, slid down to his cheek. His overbearing feelings physically hurt his chest.

"My lord, is it really selfish to protect the person you care for, risk their life?" Thoma boldly spoke up, defending his lord. "Her mother is a god, surely the shogun wouldn't want y/n to foolishly put her life on the line! Th-the Tenryou Commissioner only requested..."

"Thoma is right, you shouldn't beat yourself up for it." Ayaka reached out, patting her elder brother's back.

While Ayato's mind was elsewhere, y/n made her way to a lounge area, bumping into Itto.

"Well good morning sunshine! It's a great day, isn't it? The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and your eyes are puffy! Wait...what? Why are your eyes puffy?" The oni lowered himself to reach your height while taking a good glimpse of your face.

"Men." You simply responded.

"Now hold on, you can't just generalize all men. Did Ayato take an L? Well, I take a W!" Itto patted your head, "C'mon, let's go shopping, my treat."

"Whaaa—"

Itto swiftly grabbed your wrist, pulling you outside the estate. The early morning of sunshine glared directly into your eyes, blinding you for a brief moment.

The oni dragged you down to Inazuma city while nagging about how you should be grateful that he forgave you for electrocuting him back at the greenhouse.