eight | strange vs strange

☆

IT HAD TAKEN TALIA A LONG TIME to fully let herself commit to Stephen Strange. During that time, the man she eventually had come to love had started his career in surgery and Talia had made a name for herself as a pianist.

Still, Talia had managed to ruin things before finally giving in to Stephen Strange.

Talia had run at the first declaration of love from Stephen and stubbornly had not seen him for more than a month. Unknowing what to do, Talia had sought the familiar solution that she had chosen since she was ten: to run, to never settle.

For Talia, ruining things completely involved alcohol and a distraction. The distraction happened to come in a city bar with Talia's eyes finding the first attractive man, settling for him in the naive belief that he would make her numb to Stephen Strange.

So, Talia had taken him home, instantly regretting her decision.

The problem: the stranger was not Stephen Strange.

Realising that, Talia had tensed, no longer interested in his touch or kiss. The man noticed, pulling away from her as Talia was aware that they were alone in her apartment together. Frustrated, Talia's random fling had fled, leaving her alone.

Even though Talia had run, Stephen had still crept under her skin, trapping himself in her heart.

Maybe it was the alcohol or Talia giving in, but she had called him.

And after two rings, Stephen had picked up.

Not long later, Stephen had found Talia sitting with her back pressed against the hallway wall of her apartment, where she could not look at him. Of course, Talia knew that he was angry as she was acting reckless and irresponsible, but Talia was not bothered about that.

What bothered her was why she had let a man like Stephen Strange slip into her heart. Stephen Strange was not Talia's usual type for one thing, he was too arrogant and constantly challenged her sense of control, but he was secretly soft-hearted, especially when it came to her. They were both alike; both had traumatic childhoods with fears that had shaped them. They were both stubborn and had a habit of challenging each other.

And Talia had tried. She had wanted them. She had opened up to him. But, when it came to it, Talia could not control an emotion like love, and she was terrified.

Instead of arguing, Stephen sat down next to Talia, shrugging his jacket off as he put it around her shoulders, noticing how cold she was. It was winter again, yet Talia had gone out as if it had been summer.

"So," said Stephen. "Your door was unlocked, Talia. Should I ask what happened?"

"There was a guy," Talia confessed. "Nothing happened with him, but..."