Chapter 8

Goldensky panted. She had just come back from her morning training with Tangleshade and Fierceheart. Even though they hadn't done anything hard or over-exerting, she was extremely tired.

"Goldensky! Please, you shouldn't be doing much. Your kits will be born soon." Frostfall meowed, barging into the leader's den. Poppyleaf came after her.

"She's right, Goldensky. Your kits could be born any day now. Maybe even at moonrise." Poppyleaf added, trying to get the point through to Goldensky.

"My kits will not come unless Sunfern is here. I want Sunfern to see his siblings when they are first born, so he is reminded that even though Rosemist and his father are gone, he still has family." Goldensky meowed protestingly.

Frostfall and Poppyleaf rolled their eyes. Poppyleaf felt Goldensky's stomach with her paw, while Frostfall dropped a vole in front of the Moonclan leader. Goldensky grunted unhappily. Why are they making such a fuss? I've had kits before.

"About three to five kits I'd say." Poppyleaf meowed excitedly, with a hint of worry in her voice. "Also, if you're wondering why we're making such a fuss...well...you're not exactly a..uhm...youthful warrior, if you'll excuse me saying so." Poppyleaf added awkwardly.

Goldensky chuckled internally.

"It's fine." She smiled.

"By the way," Frostfall started. "Your sister Feirceheart wishes to speak with you."

Oh no. Goldensky thought, sighing. Her littermate had always been infuriating and unpredictable, although she still cared for Feircheart. "Send her in." she meowed, an annoyed look on her face. Poppyleaf dipped her head respectfully and left the den, Frostfall following. Soon after, Feirceheart crashed through the entrance.

"Ahh, Goldensky. I wish to talk to you." Feirceheart meowed happily. She took a seat next to Goldensky, sniffing her. "I can't wait for your kits." She meowed, her eyes crinkled. Goldensky was irritated.

What does she want? Goldensky sighed. She pressed her eyes closed, slowly opening them. Might as well get it over with. Goldensky sniffed expectantly.

"So...I want to tell you something I learned. Two things, actually." Feirceheart began, as if trying to leave Goldensky on a cliffhanger. Annoying.

"Get on with it." Goldensky meowed dryly.

"Right, right. So, I was patrolling the Sunclan border, and I heard something. Something about kit-napping. Like, kit stealing. I was worried, ya know, because you have kits coming soon." Feirceheart glanced at her littermate worriedly, giving her a lick on the ear. "And also I'm expecting kits." She finished quickly. Feircheart briskly stood up and trotted out of the den.

"Feirceheart wait! Come back! What were you talking about?" Goldensky commanded. "FEIRCHEART!" Goldensky yowled.

"Fox-hearted idiot." Goldensky muttered, giving her paws a good lick. She could talk to Feircheart later, but right now she should check on the kits.

Goldensky peeked into the nursery, the warm, milky smell hitting her. She looked at all the kits. Leapkit and Swiftkit were batting at a moss ball in one corner, in the other were Riverkit and Honeykit, napping together in a little ball. Forestkit, Flamekit, and Willowkit were playfighting in a big tangle, bumping into all the queens. Runningbrook sniffed her way through the tangle.

"All right, all right, calm down. How about you play outside? So that you don't run into everyone?" Runningbrook mewed sweetly. The kits nodded and ran out. They bumped into Goldensky on the way out.