Chapter 13 - Michelle

Okay - content warning on this chapter for a sexual assault flashback.  If you're like me and you don't enjoy stories with sexual assault in them, I've built in a safety switch for you.  See, if I'm watching a movie or a TV show and there's anything too graphic or brutal, I can fast-forward - that's a bit trickier to do in a novel.  So, if you want to skip, look for the first sad face emoji and scroll past until you get to the second one - you're safe to read from there.

Why do I include scenes like this when I don't like them myself?  Because for so many people, this kind of assault is frighteningly common, and when we don't speak about it, everyone feels like they're the only one who's had this experience.  By naming it, we reduce shame for victim survivors and put it right where it belongs: on the perpetrators.

I hope I've approached this topic in a respectful way, but if the chapter brings anything up for you, please seek help in your local area.  In Australia, we have access to a sexual assault support help line in each state - plus LifeLine - and you can choose to stay anonymous.  Sending love and my hope for a safer future xx

Wyld Times, Episode 52

Michelle is whispering. "Today, Kylie and I are meeting a very special kangaroo joey named Bunji. What can you tell us about Bunji, Jo?"

They're standing in a sunny room with a lady wearing a long apron with a large pocket. "Bunji was brought in with his injured mum – a gang of young thugs beat her with cricket bats for fun, and they didn't realise that Bunji was in her pouch the whole time."

"Oh no!" says Kylie in dismay. "That's awful!"

"Ever since, he's been scared of the sound of male voices – he's actually scared of most loud sounds. He was miserable for weeks, practically dying in our arms even though he wasn't injured and he was being fed and cared for. He's scared of everything - we think he might have PTSD."

"Isn't that what soldiers get?" says Kylie.

"That's right," responds Michelle. "Post-traumatic stress disorder is triggered in humans by a fearful experience, like combat trauma, a car crash or a criminal attack. There's growing evidence that animals can also experience lasting effects from a traumatic experience. In Bunji's case, that's hypervigilance and anxiety."

The women fall silent as a small kangaroo hops out from behind a cushion on the floor. He freezes, staring at the humans with wide, terror-filled eyes, then dives back behind the cushion again.

Jo says, "Fear is a response we see in all animals – including humans. Fear can help to keep us alive, but too much fear can have a high cost, like you see with Bunji here."

"Poor little bloke," says Kylie, her face taut with sadness. "How do we help him?"

"Both humans and animals need similar conditions to recover from trauma," says Jo. "They need to feel safe, and they need to avoid cues that can trigger their fight, flight or freeze response – or the sympathetic nervous system. That's why we keep Bunji in here, where it's quiet, calm and dark. They also need a way to self-sooth or be soothed by someone or something else – that helps to activate the parasympathetic nervous system, or the rest, digest and calm response."

Bunji sticks his head out again, and Jo crouches down. "Come on, little mate," she says softly.

He pauses for a second, then bounds forwards and launches himself headfirst into the pocket of Jo's apron. The material wiggles for a moment, then his small head reappears over the lip of the pocket.