14

I groan when I hear the phone ringing. When I move, I realize that I'm lying on top of Billy on the couch. He groans slightly but doesn't get up. As I walk into the kitchen, I notice it's barely seven in the morning.

I pick up the phone. "Hello?"

"I've called twice already," Steve tells me.

"I was asleep. It's seven am," I tell him.

"I'll be at your house in ten minutes to pick you up," Steve tells me.

"What? What are you talking about?" I ask.

"I'll explain everything," Steve assures. "Just get ready."

After a slight struggle to get Billy up I manage to get him out of my house just as Steve pulls. Billy kisses me before walking to his car. I know he sees Steve. I'm just surprised the two of them didn't go at each other.

I get into the backseat of Steve's car. For some reason Dustin is in the passenger's seat.

"Why is Dustin here?" I ask. "And what is this all about?"

"I'll tell you everything once you tell me what the hell Billy was doing at your house at seven am," Steve tells me.

"Leaving," I tell him.

"He spent the night?" Steve asks.

"Yeah," I tell him. "He did."

"Did you sleep with him?" Steve asks.

"Dustin is right here," I remind him.

"Did you?" Steve pushes.

"No," I tell him. "We made out before we fell asleep on the couch. Not that it's any of your business, Steve." Steve nods. "Now tell me what the hell is going on."

Apparently, Dustin found a baby Demogorgon and kept it. Well kept it until it got to be the size of a dog and escaped. So now Steve, Dustin, and I have to find it.

We stop on the side of the road by the woods. Steve has buckets of uncooked meat to hopefully attract the thing.

"Well, well, well, look who it is," Dustin says into his radio. "Well, when you were having sister problems, Dart grew again, he escaped, and I'm pretty sure he's a baby Demogorgon. I'll explain later. Meet me, Steve, and Candy at the old junkyard. And bring your binoculars and wrist rocket."

"All right, let's go," Steve says.

Just be there, stat. Over and out.

We walk through the woods Steve and Dustin leaving a trail of meat for the thing to follow.

"All right, so let me get this straight. You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who... who you just met?" Steve asks Dustin.

"All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things," Dustin insists.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve asks.

"An interdimensional slug? Because it's awesome," Dustin reasons.

"Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I... I just... I don't know. I just feel like you're trying too hard," Steve says.

"Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?" Dustin says.

"It's not about the hair, man," Steve tells him. "The key with girls is just... just acting like you don't care."

"Even if you do?" Dustin asks.

"Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts," Steve explains.

"Then what?" Dustin asks.