Chapter 23

It was finally morning, I woke up a bit groggily, rubbing my eyes and walking out of my tent.

"Oh,,, what's going on?" Aang said making me confused.

"We're going to find the man who took my mother from me," Katara said, I looked over to Zuko.

Just what exactly happened after Sokka and Zuko talked?!

"Sokka told me the story of what happened. I know who did it, and I know how to find him," Zuko added.

"You do?" I asked.

Zuko turned to me and nodded

"Um, and what exactly do you think this will accomplish?" Aang asked.

"I knew you wouldn't understand," Katara scoffed.

"Wait, stop, I do understand!" Aang said,"You're feeling unbelievable pain and rage. How do you think I felt about the sand benders when they stole Appa? How do you think I felt about the Fire Nation when I found out what happened my people?"

"She needs this, Aang," Zuko said,"This is about getting closure and justice,"

"I don't think so, I think it's about getting revenge," Aang replied.

"Fine, maybe it is!" Katara bluntly said,"Maybe that's what I need, maybe that's what he deserves,"

My blood boiled, Katara isn't a killer. She doesn't even know what she's saying. My eyes shifted to Kaito who walked over from where she was sitting, she was just spectating untill now. She then sent me an unsure look making my head hurt a little.

"Katara, you sound like Jet," Aang said.

"It's not the same, Jet attacked the innocent. This man, he's a monster!" Katara replied.

"Do you really think you could kill him?" Kaito asked but Katara just ignored her.

"Katara, she was my mother too," Sokka stepped in,"But I think Aang might be right,"

"Then you didn't love her the way I did!" She hissed.

"Katara," Sokka said extremely hurt by Katara's words.

"Don't talk to Sokka like that," I said calmly.

"Don't get involved Kya! All you've ever done is not care!" She huffed,"You move on as if nothing happened! It's what you've always done, you probably don't even know what it means to grieve," Katara shouted at me.

My heart broke but I also snapped,"Don't you ever talk to me about grieving Katara," I said so coldly she calmed down,"You want to get justice, that's fine by me, but don't regret it once you get what you want,"

I walked away as my heart shattered even more. I bit my hand trying my best not to break down. I never allowed myself to grieve, I ended up focusing on that my family needed, what my village needed. They needed someone to try and keep the family together, I witnessed everything: Sokka's pain, Katara's pain, and even dad's pain. It was so overwhelming I didn't even know what my own pain felt like. I spiraled in depression all those years ago but I just shut it away, I wasn't sad like now, I was just empty.

After a little while I calmed myself down, grabbing a pair of clothes and walking out. Looking up to the sky. It still hurt, everything Katara said to me echoed in my mind. I heard footsteps slowly walking towards me. It was Zuko who gave me a sad smile and sat on the ground, so I sat down next to him. We stayed in silence until he spoke up.

"I think you also need this," He said,"You deserve justice,"

"Even if I do," I paused.

"Come with us," Zuko said holding my hand.