Ep 7: Looking for A Reaction

I pant like crazy, trying to keep my breathing stable so I wouldn't feel dizzy so quickly. My calves burn because of the sudden exertion. And my lungs burn even more.

This time, I have gotten past the door of the castle and I storm to the street.

There is a public market that is right in front of the castle. People are surprised when they see me running. Some can sniff my scent and hiss, "Werewolf." I pay them no mind as I trudge on until I find the walls Lyall was talking about.

I am lucky. Really lucky. Because the gates on the wall are opened. Merchants and what I assume to be hunters are coming in and out of the gate, guarded by lycan warriors.

Not giving anyone time to make sense of what has been happening, I storm through the gates, causing the warriors to look at each other in confusion. I have to push some lycan merchants, which makes them hiss at me.

Fortunately, none of them grabs me. So I can still run without stopping. My destination is the forest just outside of the gate.

"Crazy girl!" someone shouts behind me.

A second later, I hear a deeper voice that sends chills down my spine. "Where do you think you're going, werewolf girl?" My wolf whimpers inside me at the sound of our mate. But I won't stop.

People are greeting the lycan king but I couldn't care less because by then I am already inside the forest. Earthy smells find their way to my nostrils again. My vision is set in front of me, my feet are guided by my memory and my sense of smell. I try to keep my breathing steady for this long run.

Another lucky thing for me; this isn't the first time I have traveled this far into the woods. Ed and I used to run in this forest and occasionally we would stumble upon the lycan kingdom. We have never tried to approach but from the lycan merchants and hunters we interact with, they all say that King Lyall is an Ice King.

My beige dress gets entangled with tree branches a lot, but I don't stop. Even when I feel a prickly sensation on my barefoot feet, I don't stop. Because behind me, the lycan king is pursuing me at full speed. He is even faster than Alpha Mason.

I have almost reached the river in the forest when suddenly, a force knocks me from behind. Lyall's body tumbles me to the ground, causing us to roll on the forest floor for a while.

Once our bodies stop rolling, Lyall uses his body weight to push me to the ground. My head is still spinning from the impact as he pins my arms with one hand above my head. I open my eyes to the green fire in his gaze. His face is so close to mine when he bares his canines to me, blowing hot breaths to my face.

For a moment, I am mesmerized by his emerald eyes. They drown me in a green sea that is so comforting, reminding me of the time I slept in the soft grassy field near my old home. I used to sleep there while I waited for Ed to finish his practice.

The nostalgia makes me forget that there is an angry lycan on top of my body. Lyall presses his face against me, which makes me stretch my neck to avoid it. And that's exactly what he wants. For me to expose my vulnerable neck, which is a form of submission.

His canines graze the skin of my neck. My panting makes my skin rise and fall. Each time my skin touches his canines, sparks come out and spread to my entire body, paralyzing me underneath him.

On the other hand, he doesn't even pant. He doesn't sweat. Instead, he looks perfectly unbothered except for his expression; furrowed eyebrows, flared nose, snarling mouth.

"Where do you think you are going, werewolf girl?" he asks again. His deep vibration sends tingles on my skin. "Do you want to die? I didn't take you as a stupid person."