Sign 6 My Teenage Dream

Moving down those stairs, Cyril felt certain of his victory. He felt as if he would now finally understand what he was. He felt it as he rested his bare feet on the warm, wooden floor as his mother stood behind the kitchen table, with a coffee mug in her hands, and her hair behind her head tied back in a bun. She looked warm, old and homely.

"Mom," Cyril pressed his hands at the handle of the door and she glanced up at him, dropping the coffee mug, its hard porcelain cracked on the floor and splattered across the heated carpet. She looked at him as a girl, and he looked at her as her son. 

She froze. And he reached at her, "Mom," He breathed and she moved towards him. Her steps were slow, measured and as she looked into Cyril's green eyes, she inhaled a great deal, and as she let her breath out, she voiced, "You're here,"

Cyril felt her fingers crawl on his cheeks, his mother's blue eyes looked into his green eyes, his whale tattoo crawled up his neck, and his hair brushed against his back as his mother's knuckles brushed against his spine, and they hugged, he felt her wet face on his chest. He didn't know what to say. Tristian and Arthur stood at the stairs, looking down at them, with the light from the creak of the door, Cyril's room, behind them, glowing dimly on their backs. The light from streetlights seemed to flow in from the window. 

He heard her whimpering and pressed her head, "Mom, are you okay?"
She shook her head, "Yes,"
He looked at her head, "You're lying,"

She moved away from him and looked at him, "I am trying to be okay!"
"Okay with what?"
"Watching you die," 

He looked at her, looked at the window behind her, his reflection was his masculine self. Tristian and Arthur looked at each other, completely bewildered. 
"I looked at the Moon when I had you," He heard his mother, "Two months before you were expected, I delivered you in the ocean," She looked at her palms, "There was so much blood. And you, in that blood, those luminescent algae,"

Arthur touched his neck, he felt like he knew what algae she was talking about. 

"Your sister merged with you, leaving a few fingertips on your back, as the last embrace of her existence. But they surgically removed it, and you got a blue bruise on your back, which turned into a huge scar. It won't leave you. It never left you. And now, it's taking over you. She is taking over you," She looked at him, the whale tattoo covering half of his face, "You are dying,"

"It makes no sense! And why did I never know of this before? How could you hide such an important detail of my life from me?!" 
"Because it would fill you up with guilt,"
"You're lying to me! AGAIN!" He yelled, "YOU ARE ALWAYS LYING TO ME, MOM!"

"What did I ever lie to you about, my dear?"
"You lied that you loved me! You told me I was your everything, but you never saved me from anything, dad's anger, the school bullies, you were never there for me!" You are like an everlasting nightmare, smelling like a fever dream, dressed like a stranger.

That night dad beat me up, and all my bruises were bluer than my back,
I looked at you. I wanted you to hug me. And you?
You looked away.

"YOU'RE WEAK! YOU'RE MISERABLE! AND I'D RATHER DIE THAN BE YOU, MOM!"
He pushed her away and ran out of the living room. He slammed the door behind him, as Arthur and Tristain screamed his name. His mother sat on the table and sucked on her knuckles while sobbing. 

Skyler opened the door to his underground lab and pulled out a bucket full of blue algae. He closed the garage doors and pressed the bucket into the car. He started the car and looked up at the moon, it was a dying blue. It was the colour of Cyril's ballerina shoes, which were so worn out by then, that they had lost their royal blue colour, and turned dull and discoloured. They kicked the sand as he ran over the beach, and finally tripped, falling into the water. 

He looked at the moon, "This too shall pass"
"It would," He looked up and saw Tristian, "You followed me?" 
"You tend to run away from problems,"
"Oh, fuck off," Cyril looked aside, "You are here to watch me cry, I won't cry,"

"It's okay if you want to cry, Cyril," Tristian smiled as the waves thumped against his feet, "Don't hold it back," Cyril looked up at him while crying, as he lay on the soft waves, the tides were low, the water was warm, Tristian's eyes were a pretty shade of brown, like tracing the sand on the beach, and soon, he pressed his knees over the sand, and lay on his stomach, looking at him.

The waves washed his tears, and he looked back at Tristian, "Are we lost?"
Tristian smiled, "No, we're just... exploring,"
"I am definitely lost," They looked at the dark sky as the voice of the ocean comforted them, and the waves embraced them.

"It all started with me sleeping with a boy," Cyril whispered, low enough to make Tristian believe that he was talking to himself, he was. "My dad finding it out, our relationship coming to an abrupt end because I ghosted him, then a text from a fake Finnish girl, who ghosts me, to me losing my best friend, dating a lesbian and breaking her heart too... I ruin everything I touch, everyone I let go of, is bleeding black and blue... People are tired of me.

I'm tired of these people...I want to go home,"
He was silent at once. So, Tristian asked, "Back to your mom?"
"No..." He was louder now, as if conscious of his presence again, "That is not my home. A space of vulnerability, that continues to hurt me... is not home. Home is happiness...Home is away from loneliness....Home is... Perhaps home is death,"

"Cyril..." Tristian looked at his face, "Why do you think that?"
"Because some people are inevitably left alone," A teardrop fell from Cyril's eye, "No matter what they do, some people, would never find their soulmate, because perhaps...Their soulmate died, so home... Perhaps, death is, and not love, home."

Tristian turned his face aside and clenched his eyes.
"I'm not crying because I'm in love. I'm crying because I can't believe I find my death so alluring...But why are you crying?" He looked at him.
"Because I am in love," Tristian turned towards him and they both stared into the darkness of each other's eyes, "For so long, I have forgotten the taste of my waters in your tormenting love, which submerges me just enough to let me breathe. You fill my breath with enchantment and desperation. I have hated life before you, I have been wanting to die half of my life, but as I love you, I want to live longer...So that I can be with you, a little bit longer. I want to live to love you,"

Cyril looked at him and snickered, "You like me?"
"You doubt me?" Tristian asked as he wiped his tears with a smile.
"No, but I do think you are insane...Your words encapsulate how it would feel to wake up next to something living, a montage of your memories...Something dreamlike. Yet, this is real. You're here and you chose me,"
"And I will forever choose you." 

Cyril smiled, almost sadly, "You want to live, but I don't. I hate life, and no, your existence cannot deter it,"
"But can it slow it down? If you have to leave, can I make you leave slowly?"
Cyril laughed as dawn broke out into the sky, and his body turned back to his male self, "Slow me down, then, Mr Loverboy,"

Skyler covered his face with a mask and poured some black liquid into the ocean from a huge, tin bucket. The liquid fell into the water and dispersed across it. As it sank inside the ocean fauna, the fingernails it possessed slowly decomposed too. Skyler drove back home, parked the car in the garage and locked the door. He switched on the lights in his hall and looked down at the blood splattered all across the floor. He sighed,

"I'm sorry, mom,"

-To be continued

Cyril Edwards Undercover Blue Riot

Cyril Edwards 
Undercover Blue Riot