I Can't

When I finally came to a stop I was utterly lost, sweaty, and exhausted. The sun was low on the horizon, well low on the wall. I figured it was nearing dark and that I should head back.. but I wasn't quite sure where "back" was. I had taken so many thoughtless turns and shortcuts that I just gave up trying to keep track of where I was.

I kept walking along the sidewalk, knowing that if I stopped now my legs would feel like mush and I would likely not want to get up again. As I let my heart beat slow down I took a glance around the place. It was much like where the boys lived. Big houses in really good shape, with decent yards and the occasional fence. I was fighting back a yawn while stepping off of a curb when I heard a voice shout behind me.

"Hey! You!"

I stumbled and just barely caught myself from falling off the edge of the curb. I swiveled around to look behind me but I couldn't see anyone. There was a deep, masculine chuckle. I froze.

Was it those goons who had caused Chester to kiss me? Was I in danger?

The questions shot around my brain in rapid fire and I pressed my hand over my heart to keep it from beating out of my chest. I looked around again and relaxed a little when I saw the person. He was sitting on the porch steps of one of the houses, and he did NOT look like one of the goons. I bent over a little trying to get my racing heart to calm once more.

"You scared me," I panted, having come to a stop. My legs felt like goo and it took all I had to not just roll over and fall asleep in some of the green grass. I was still pretty hot from the run so the cool air didn't really feel cold yet, it just felt nice on my heated skin.

"Sorry!" the boy said and then grinned softly as he stood, "I'm Evan.. you must be one of the new girls? Mabel's sister?"

I nodded, "Kodi," I murmured while trying to figure out why his name sounded familiar, then it clicked, the boys had been on the supply mission near his old house, which meant at one point he had been my neighbor and we didn't even know eachother.

I blew out a breath as he walked over, before he reached me I gave an inward sigh and sat down on the curb, stretching my tired legs.

"Looks like you've been out here for quite a bit?"

I nodded, "I was running."

The boy, Even, was about a few years older than me, and he seemed to study me. He had a buzz cut brown hair and brown eyes, he sat next to me and rested his elbows on his knees, letting his arms hand between his legs, "running from what?"

I gave a shrug, "Everything, I guess. It just," I gestured around me, "got to be too much and I needed to go clear my head."

He nodded, "Well did you?"

I looked out across the street, biting my lip in thought, "Yeah, I think I did. I also think I should be getting home," I said and rubbed my hands across my thighs, preparing to stand.

Even looked over at me, "You already have a house?" he asked.

I shook my head slowly, I didn't fully know Evan but from what I could tell he was a nice person. He hadn't broken in my window or made me uncomfortable, and I was sure he wasn't going to harm me, as he just seemed to kindhearted to do that, I wasn't sure if I could trust him but I had a feeling he wasn't someone to worry about.

"No," I replied and undid my hair before putting it back up, into a messy bun, "I'm living with Cody and Chester and them until they can set up a house for me. Something about getting the water and electricity hooked up and moving some furniture around?"