Chapter 24: My Revelation

NOTE: This is rose. Just as mentioned last chapter, we will be announcing something for this one. First: we will be taking a break from releasing NHS Kai main story chapters. We have yet to completely plan what's going to happen in the next arc as it's going to involve a lot of conflict. Taking notes from your feedback on the GVE introduction arc, we'll make sure to make them a bit more concise while maintaining the engagement factor. Second: in the meantime, as Team Kai plans out the upcoming arc, I will be releasing a 9-chapter long side story called "Emissaries". This has already been planned out, so I will be releasing those chapters in place of the main story ones. Expect the first chapter by next week. 

Discord: discord.gg/p7NJppEjza

・・・

Cent. Calendar 06/06/1639 (over a month ago)

"Excuse me, your majesty. May I inquire as to why you have summoned me?"

I bowed as low as I could as I entered the dimly lit throne room.

Sitting all alone on his throne at the other end of the long hall was Ludius, already five years into his position as Emperor of Parpaldia yet still unable to get used to the spacious area afforded to his buttocks by the throne. While true physically, it also was true in a metaphorical sense. His father, the previous emperor, was a brilliant military man, leading the formidable ground forces to a string of victories against the Northern Alliance and commencing the modernization of the navy. The continued expansion of Parpaldian territory and influence, as well as a looming flashpoint with the nascent Altarans, weighed heavily on his shoulders.

Since becoming emperor, he has taken to finding time to seclude himself in the throne room to gather his thoughts. I assume that this was why he was here, but him summoning me while he was here was a first.

"Come."

He said in his even deeper voice than before as his fingers beckoned on me to come closer.

Walking the entire length of the spacious throne room, I reached the highest step just next to the imperial throne. Then, without looking my way, he whispered something to me.

"Have you noticed anything off with one of our diplomatic channels?"

What a vague question. However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't the least bit unsettled by it. Sure, it encompassed a broad range of possible answers, but a lot of those were answers I cannot–by any means–mouth off to this man.

After becoming emperor, he now had the power and authority to appoint ministers and the like. To keep my usefulness as his close ally, he appointed me as the head minister for all foreign affairs departments (there were three). The appointment of a nobody like me ruffled a lot of feathers, particularly among the natural and seasoned critics of the imperial regime and of Ludius himself. We made sure that there weren't any actual challengers ballsy enough to do something substantial, and after some time, the issue was buried.

The appointment gave me power and scope, unlike anything I've been given before. Not only was my position naturally close to the military, since Parpaldia's expansion was made possible through a careful blend of diplomacy and warmongering, but I also had access to the many nations that Parpaldia had relations with, especially those that possessed less than favorable perceptions of the empire. This is where I got to work on upholding the vows I made.

After making a lot of friends in the military, ranging from lowly ship captains to the army commanders in the north, I went on multiple state visits to foreign nations, signing economic treaties, discussing agreements, and acting as an envoy for Parpaldia's interests. On the underside, I was also making personal contact with some of the higher-ups of said nations to get a clearer picture of their circumstances. As of this moment, my best option in upending the man and his government is creating a national embarrassment so devastating that even Ludius's own allies would turn against his regime.