02.13

[act two; chapter thirteen     -     hi gorgeous]

Percy, Zara, and Donnie were waiting for Hazel and Frank.

Zara and Donnie were sitting at the edge of the glacier, their legs hanging off the sides of the cold ice. Percy stood at the edge, beside them, leaning on the staff with the golden eagle, gazing down at the wreckage he'd caused: several hundred acres of newly open water dotted with icebergs and flotsam from the ruined camp. There were a lot of underwater plants like seaweed wrapped around it, almost like it had created a net of some sort. The occasional spot of red was noticeable on the ice itself from Donnie altering water to wine.

The only remains on the glacier were the main gates, which listed sideways, and a tattered blue banner lying over a pile of snow-bricks. When they ran up to them, Percy said, "Hey," like they were just meeting for lunch or something.

"You're alive!" Frank marvelled.

Percy frowned. "The fall? That was nothing. I fell twice that far from the St. Louis Arch."

"You did what?" Hazel asked.

"Never mind. The important thing was that we didn't drown."

Frank raised a brow at them, "Yeah, and how did that work?"

"Oh, well, I just—put an air bubble around them and they were fine."

"So the prophecy was incomplete!" Hazel grinned. "It probably said something like: The son of Neptune will drown a whole bunch of ghosts."

Percy shrugged. He was still looking at Frank like he was miffed. "I got a bone to pick with you, Zhang. You can turn into an eagle? And a bear?"

"And an elephant," Hazel said proudly.