Chapter Thirteen

The clear skies had turned grey on the beach with waves as high as mountain peaks crash onto the shore. The wind was whipping and whistling as flashes of purple and white lightning strike through the clouds. Greg laid in bed wrapped around a soft sobbing Yohani. She trembled under his chest, holding the comforter sheets over her head.

"Do you think she is okay?" Yohani sniffs from behind the sheet.

Greg sighed and kissed her tear stained face. Yohani has not stopped crying since Kitten left and Greg was stoic. Kitten never gave him a chance to speak before she left and the way she stood there in the doorway, the look of guilt all over her face, the marks that covered her body. Greg pulled Yohani closer to him as she melts into the bed with a yawn.

Nobody knows what Kitten did last night, but the evidence was clear in itself, and neither Greg or Yohani knew if they had it in them to forgive Kitten for what she did. Even though it hurts that she is gone. Hurts that she left without any final say on how she felt and if she was ever going to be okay. And if Yohani or Greg was to blame for what she did.

The next morning the sun did its best trying to shine through the thick, dark clouds and dry up the wet land, but the trees were still dripping and the sand was looking more like mixed cement. Yohani tried to open up the window to catch a breeze when the horrible stench of rotten eggs swept passed her and filled the room. She gagged and slammed the window closed and shut the curtains tightly.

Huffing she stomped her way out of the room and down the stairs and the smell of fresh fruit entered her nose. Yohani couldn't help but raise an eyebrow as Greg hardly makes breakfast when they're on a trip. Bending the corner she saw him in a white valentines day apron that was covered in red hearts and trimmed with a ruffle pattern.

The laugh that escaped her was loud and joyous, but Greg jumped from the sudden sound and banged his head on the microwave that was above him. Yohani laughed a tad harder at his pain as she walked over to the island counter and took a seat on one of the bar stools.

"You alright?" She asks quieting down her laughter as she tried to look at what was cooking on the stove.

"Yea I'm good, glad to be a professional clown today." Greg tried to joke as he places a bowl of fruit and a bowl of cream in front of her.

Yohani hums with a small delight, the thought of sweet strawberries made her mouth water, but she had no energy to eat anything.

"Can I just have some raspberry tea?" She asks Greg.

Greg turns to Yohani with a side-eye and notices the tired look on her face. He wished he could make it all go away, but all he can do for the moment is make sure Yohani takes care of herself.

"I'll make you some, but you have to eat as well, babe," Greg tells her as he moves over to their electric kettle.

Yohani sucked her teeth turning away from Greg. She's not that hungry and doesn't have to this morning, she could save some room for dinner.

"You will eat, Yohani."

Grumbling, Yohani's stomach began a soft rumble. Since Greg was to busy on the stove, she slowly ate some of the berries and cream not trying to get caught and give Greg any satisfaction.

A knock sounded from the front door and they both froze in place. Is it her? Did she come back? Their eyes met each other for a moment. Who was going to open the door for her? Did they even want her to come back?

The doorbell rings followed by another knock and Greg sighed as he motioned for Yohani to take over on the pancakes and she happily hopped over to the stove as Greg made his way towards the door.