Chapter 26: Firebending Training

After breakfast, Jeong Jeong took Aang to the river to start his training. Sokka spent the time fishing while Katara practiced her waterbending. Chiara sat in the grass along the riverbank watching Jeong Jeong work with Aang.

"Widen your stance," commanded Jeong Jeong.

Aang spread his feet farther apart.

"Wider!" he demanded.

Aang moved them again.

"Bend your knees. Now, concentrate."

Aang frowned wrinkling his brow trying to focus, though he was not sure what he was supposed to focus on.

"Good, good," said Jeong Jeong before he started walking away.

"Wait!" said Aang. "What do I do now?"

"Silence! Talking is not concentrating. Look at your friend," he said referring to Katara. "Is she talking." He pointed at Sokka. "Even that oaf knows to concentrate on what he's doing."

"Hey!" said Sokka from his rock.

"But what am I concentrating on?" asked Aang.

"Feel the heat of the sun," he said, motioning to the sky. "It is the greatest source of fire. Yet, it is in complete balance with nature."

"So when do I get to make some fire?" the Avatar asked eagerly.

"Concentrate!"

Sokka and Katara started giggling, but stopped when Aang looked at them.

"Lady Chiara, tea?" asked Jeong Jeong.

"I'd be honored," she said. She stood up and followed him.

---------------------------------------------

Iroh left the ship's hold still looking for Zuko. He was puzzled by his disappearance, but before sounding the alarm for another missing crewmember, he decided to check one more place for the lost prince. He went up to Chiara's room and opened the door. Looking inside, he could make out Zuko's dark figure lying on her cot. He could see and hear his slow, rhythmic breathing which told Iroh he was asleep. As he stood there and quietly watched his nephew, memories rushed into his mind—memories of his own grief after losing Mina, the times he would lie on her side of the bed after she was gone. Though his marriage at seventeen had been arranged, he did have some say in his choice of bride. He had spent time with her during royal balls and ceremonies, and they grew to love each other deeply during their marriage despite their years of childlessness. After so long a wait their patience was rewarded with Lu Ten, but their joy was short-lived as Lu Ten was only a year old when his mother passed away. At first, he struggled as he grieved for his wife, but he was lucky to have Amiku to help take care of the infant. He would learn to deal with his loss by giving his son as much love and attention as he could, love and attention he would also share with his young nephew as well, and eventually with the young Water Tribe girl he took into his home. As Mina's death made him realize how important family was, Lu Ten's would make him realize that nothing was more important than loved ones.

Though Iroh was certain that Chiara was safe as long as she was with the Avatar, he hoped that Zuko's grief might make him understand the importance of family. He quietly left the room leaving the young prince to rest.

---------------------------------------------

Later, when Jeong Jeong led Aang up a mountain, Chiara sat and watched Katara practice her waterbending. She longed to practice with her, but she did not want to take the chance of the knowledge of her ability getting back to the Fire Nation. She stood up and walked over to Katara.