Chapter 8~ Tail !

A deep ache dug into my thigh as I sat in class trying to focus on equations. I rubbed at the knot forming under my skin, my muscles spasmed. My gills itched, the patches running low. I leaned over my desk and rested my head for just a second while I tried to rub the growing pain from my thigh.

The desk behind me creaked as Sean leaned forward. "Dakota." he whispered, "you good?"

I nodded and pressed the heel of my hand into my thigh. He leaned around so I could see him.

"You sure? You don't look it."

I ground my teeth and tried to calm my temper. It wasn't his fault I had a monster cramp twisting my thigh muscles. "Just some muscle spasms."

"Oh..." he glanced down at my legs, but they were covered in my jeans, "think it's your tail?"

"Sean." I hissed through my teeth squeezing my eyes shut. "No."

"It could be your tail," he said not any quieter than the first time. "Need me to walk you home?"

"Sean." I tried again but he was staring at my legs as if I was going to pop a tail at that very moment.

"Leg cramps are the first sign of a transformation. I think we should get you home just in case."

I held up a hand, the cramp dug between the muscle tissue so hard I couldn't get a word out.

"Come on, I'll tell the teacher." he started to stand. I grabbed his wrist, chaining him to his desk.

"You aren't helping." I barked as quietly as possible. The few students who glanced at the disruption pretended they didn't see anything, and the teacher just kept staring at the computer on his desk.

"What do you want me to do then?" he asked sliding back into his chair.

"Nothing." I growled wincing with each twist of my muscles.

Sean's lips pressed into a thin line and he gave me a nod as he sat back into his chair, eyes dropped back to his worksheet.

Slowly the pain eased away, and I finished my paper a second before the bell rang and dropped it off at the teacher's desk before heading out. I texted my mom about the cramp, and she texted me back after I got my gym clothes on. Did I want her to come get me.

No... I'd be fine. It wasn't time... not yet.

    I jogged at an easy pace beside Sean at gym even though he was clearly not struggling at all

I jogged at an easy pace beside Sean at gym even though he was clearly not struggling at all. Normally I wouldn't be either but the constant twinge in my thighs traveling down into my calves. Sean glanced at me but kept his mouth shut as we ran.

"You don't have to lag behind with me." I tried to force a laugh, but the cramp climbed up into my sides.

"It's fine." He said.

"Seriously, I can struggle on my own."

He scoffed "I can see that." His eyes were glued ahead but he didn't leave me. As much as I didn't want him to keep staring at me like I was going to pop a fin at any moment it did feel better to have him blocking some of my struggle from the rest of our classmates. Even if he talked too much.

Invisible claws grabbed my abdomen and pinched me into ball. I lurched forward Sean's arm hooked around me and lowered me to the ground.

"You good?" He asked, eyes flickering around the gym before settling on me.

I nodded, gritting my teeth against the pain, spots danced in front of my eyes. He crouched beside me, hiding me from the room. How much of an ass could I be when all he was doing was looking out for me even after I yelled at him.

"Hey Sean I—"

"Tail!" A kid shouted from the other side of the room. My heart sank into my stomach. Tremors crawled up my spin the cramp eased away. Sean's eyes widen and I squeezed my eyes shut.

Not like this, please God? Poseidon? King triton whatever deity exists. Please not here. I'd rather fall down a flight of stairs than to sprout my first fin in front of my entire class.

"Dakota." Sean shook me. "Da—ko—ta!" He snapped shaking me harder. I shook my head.

"I can't, not—"

"It's not you." He said. "It's not you." He patted my leg. "Look, you still got legs."

I peeled my eyes open saw my black joggers, Sean's fingers digging into my human legs. I choke on an almost sob and wrapped my arms around Sean. Tears prick my eyes. I looked past him and saw a black-haired girl with tears streaming down her face as her friends carried her out of the room.

"You're good." Sean slapped his hand against my back a few times. "You're fine. Still human... mostly." He shrugged and I choked on a laugh

The gym teacher blew the whistle. "Shower and get changed, class is over."

The kids all exchanged looks. Some of them glanced down at their own legs like they were afraid of seeing a tail. Even if it was a normal in that school, it had to be embarrassing to grow a tail in the middle of class. I had been trying to avoid thinking about it but what if it did happen in school? How did I even want to it to happen? In the ocean for sure. As few eyes as possible. Maybe none. If it happened at all. Even without the skin I was more than likely going to get the tail. The skin would make the transformation from sea creature to human more natural. My gills would seal on land and open in the water.

"You good now?" Sean asked. I nodded and squeezed his shoulder.

"Thank you." I sniffled and swallowed the panic that had swallowed me. "Really, man. Thanks." Sean nodded and helped me to my feet though the cramp had almost completely faded.

"For sure." He offered a half-smile and jerked his chin towards the changing rooms. "You go ahead. I'm gonna take a few laps." He slapped my shoulder and took off really running that time without me to slow him down.

I think I might physically die if I turned into a mermaid in the middle of gym class and had to be carried out by my friends