My decision

Owen's P.O.V.

"So let me get me straight. Your boss offered you a job at the company before your internship ended on top of that he offered you a spot in the team going to Australia and you got a day off from the job so now you can go on a date with your mate, right?" Jess said. He paused for a second with a confused look. "Sorry, I'm not getting what you are so stressed about." He added. Still the same confused expression on his face.

"I know, I know it sounds like the best thing ever. But how am I supposed to drop this bomb on Jason about the offer I got in Australia?" I am sad, scared and I don't know what to do.

"Look, you are going to accept the job offer at the company, right?" he was looking straight into my eyes.

"Yes."

"You are only concerned with the thing about Australia?"

"Yes!"

"Do you wanna go to Australia?" He had this empathetic look in his eyes. It was like he was looking into my soul.

"I don't know. I'm not sure. It's a great opportunity but..." I did not know how to finish that sentence.

"So, why don't you make up your mind first! Consider both options and decide what you think would be the best choice. Deal with the consequences later." He sounded wise.

"But how am I supposed to choose?"

"Just don't think about anything else. Think about yourself. What would make you happy?"

And there was silence for a long time. I was lost in my thoughts, trying to understand what I want. I was lost for a very long time and Jess was just sitting across from me reading one of his books that were written in some weird alphabet.

I looked out of the window and at the lake. It was sparkling as always. It was already dark, but the light from the moon and a billion stars were reflected by the clear water. And it felt magical, it felt like the familiar hand of my mom caressing my head when I was in middle school. When I used to cry in her arms and she would stroke my hair telling me it was all right, it felt just like that. My mother's warm hug. A familiar but addicting feeling.

"I know," I said and Jess jumped a little because he was surprised.

"Good. Just do that." He only said that. I was thinking he might ask me what I decided but it looked like he already knows. I did not know what to say to that so I stood there quietly for a while.

"Um... It's getting pretty late; I should head back." I said.

After that, I head back home. And I'm so glad I went to see him; he always knows what to say. And I don't know why but I think his place is a great place to make decisions.

My parents were in the kitchen and Hailey was doing her homework while watching some teen rom-com movie when I reached the home.

"Is it spaghetti and meatballs?" I asked as soon as I got the sniff.

"Yup." My mother replied.

"Wow, how can your love change this quickly? I remember just before a couple of months ago you were setting up a buffet for my breakfast and now what do I get? Spaghetti and meatballs?" I said sarcastically.

"Oh, honey. It's not you, it's me." My mom said dramatically like someone in the way someone in the movie breaks up.

"Ouch." I pretended like an arrow was shot at my heart.

"Thank God. You ever said that to me." My dad said as he picked the pasta out of the boiling water.

"How can I say that to this cute face of yours." My mom cupped my dad's face.